Top Shelf Aquatics

Storing PreMixed SaltWater - Good Or Bad?

MB3

Rather than mix a batch every time I need a water change, I would rather mix 5 gallons and keep it on a covered plastic bucket with a powerhead in there to keep it moving.

When it came time for a change, I could make a minute salinity adjustment to match the tank, heat it, and transfer it in.

My question is, is there anything detrimental in storing the water over time, is anything necessary going to be leeched or diminished? Does anyone else mix big batches and then pull from that?

I keep 5 gallons at a time, lasts about 3 weeks for me. I just shake the jug, pour off what I need into a bucket and add a PH for a few hours to make sure it's well aerated. I've been doing this for months now with no problems. I believe Gilman does the same thing.

I store mine (RO/Tropic Marin Salt) for about a month at a time in a 5 gallon sealed container kept in a dark closet at room temp. I also shake the heck out of it before using it (my aeration method).

Gil

Yeah gil, I probably should have mentioned that. This is RO/Instant Ocean and I keep it in a sealed opaque 5 gallon container that I bought from the reef store. Kept away from the dircect sunlight.

I mix 5g batches of Instant Ocean and store it in an opaque bucket. I do not keep it circulating with a powerhead, but it doesn't sound like that is a problem. Before I do a WC I put my heater in a 1g jug of the premixed SW until it gets up to the proper temp. I do not shake it to aerate it before adding it. Should I be doing this? Is my current approach ok or is there something I'm missing?

I keep mine is a red plastic christmas paper storage tub with a lid. I mix up 5 to 10 gallons at a time, and heat it with a submerged heater and power head before I use it in my tank. It lasts for 5 -10 weeks.

Archived