inTank Media Baskets

More Stable pH

benjamin.rocke

benjamin.rocke

I've been struggling with dinoflagellates for some time, and am trying to keep my pH at about 8.5 to keep them down. I've been using a dilute kalkwasser mix that I dissolved in freshwater and add about twice a day to raise the pH. I add maybe a half cup or so to the tank each day in total. I measure my pH at least once a day and it varies between 8.2 and 8.6. As a newbie, I don't know what is out there that will help me regulate my pH. I don't want to subject my tank to such large swings every day. I have a refugium with chaeto that I run while my lights are off to help keep it up during the night. Is there a better way to keep my PH consistently at roughly 8.5 without spending a fortune? Thanks!

benjamin.rocke
What are your alkalinity and magnesium concentrations?

I have no idea. Should I get a test kit to measure these?

It'd be a good idea.

If your alkalinity is low, then your system has the potential for larger pH swings. "Alkalinity" can be thought of as a measure of the buffering capacity of your water.

More buffering capacity = more resistance to pH swings (up or down)

Mg helps you maintain your alkalinity/calcium balance. If your Mg is low, it can be hard to keep your alk and/or your Ca up where it needs to be.

Ranges to shoot for:

Ca: 350-450 ppm

Alk: 8-10 dKH

Mg: 1250-1450 ppm

If you are far outside those ranges, especially with regard to the alk and Mg, you may want to think about amending them with additives. You can easily DIY your own if you don't want to spend $$.

benjamin.rocke
It'd be a good idea.

If your alkalinity is low, then your system has the potential for larger pH swings. "Alkalinity" can be thought of as a measure of the buffering capacity of your water.

More buffering capacity = more resistance to pH swings (up or down)

Mg helps you maintain your alkalinity/calcium balance. If your Mg is low, it can be hard to keep your alk and/or your Ca up where it needs to be.

Ranges to shoot for:

Ca: 350-450 ppm

Alk: 8-10 dKH

Mg: 1250-1450 ppm

If you are far outside those ranges, especially with regard to the alk and Mg, you may want to think about amending them with additives. You can easily DIY your own if you don't want to spend $$.

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll see about getting a test kit this week and doing some more detailed water chemistry tests. Thanks!

Archived