Coral Vue Hydros

Can a HOT magnum 250 be used as an undertank cansiter?

z6joker9

i was wondering... i know the 250 is suppose to be a hang on tank cansiter filter, but if i add the appropriate tubing and cutoff valves, can it be an undertank canister? or will the return pump not be enough to get the water back up? or will it be, because it's a completely enclosed unit and it will gain pressure from the siphoned tank water? or it doesn't work, but i could add a small powerhead on the end of the return line to give it the extra "umph" it needs?

i have this filter laying around, as well as an empty oceanic 30gal cube, and i was thinking about making a really clean looking salt tank. FO, FOWLR, or reef, i have no idea yet. most likely just start it off with a small amount of LR and throw a couple of clowns in there.

i was also curious... if people go FO (no LR), then what do they use for decorations? i've seen mock coral that cost $700+, i'm referring to people that do FO over FOWLR to save money.

i was also curious... if people go FO (no LR), then what do they use for decorations? i've seen mock coral that cost $700+, i'm referring to people that do FO over FOWLR to save money.

the little bubbly diver and treasure chest things.... (in best gay hair dresser voice) or you could always go for that whole sponge bob square pants theme i hear that's really hot this season.

The HOT magnum is not designed for it and with the head pressure if you see any water pumped out it will be very little.The in and out seals will also likely leak w/ that pressure.

For FO only tanks with no LR you can buy normal roc k decorations that freshwater tanks usually have. Fake corals are an option...a pricey one at that.

Cameron

freshwater decorations.. bleh....

yes the sponge bob decorations are a hit for freshwater tanks at the pet store i work at.

thanks physh, that's kinda what i figured.

Archived