Pod Your Reef

My Sad Sad tail, with some questions:

Thane

Well, mt tank has just turned 3 months old and the algae seems to be going away (grass and bubble) and the water parameters are doing well. The lights were great (11w 6500k PC + 14w 50/50 10000k PC) and then I got my first "coral", a pom-pom xzenia. Put it in my tank and it looked great! Opened up so nicly after 10 minutes in my tank and this is where my story starts. We had a small power dip and the one balast for the 50/50 died, got a new one, didn't work, 1 day later with no light, got one that worked, fitted it into my lid and it looked great, the xzenia didn't though. Started to look better and then a power failer, from 8:30am to 3:30am the following morning. Well, the water paramaters are a little higher than usual, but I think the xenia is dead. It's all limp, grey/brown and when I turned the light on, only 2-3 polyps per "plant" opened, what can I do, 'o yes, there were also funny bubbles on the stalks, not a good sign? And I found bristle worms as well, the one was about 10cm, they are white, are they cool? or must I get rid of them! PLEASE help!!! Thanks for all you guys/gals have suggested as well.

What is your pH? I've noticed that my xenia never looked right when the pH fluctuated. Also, what do you keep you temp set at? I had a heater malfunction and the tank went up to 86, nothing but the xenia died.

Is it normal to have frequent power outages in South Africa?

I'd recommend some serious water changes. When stressed, corals quickly pollute the tank.

Penn-plax makes a model B11 battery-powered airpump that comes on automatically when the power fails. US$20 of cheap life insurance. I put one on my tank so I could sleep at night.

My PH sit's at around 8.2 - 8.3. and the temperature is at 24 deg. And no, I think this is the second powerfailer we've had this year (the first one was less than 20 minutes). And that pump sounds awesome, but I have never seen that pump here before :( but I'll ask at the LFS.

Archived