Innovative Marine Aquariums

current status of cycle.

ninhsavestheday

ninhsavestheday

yeah, you guys are right!.. i just tested my water and ammonia jumped to .50. i guess ammonia is still in the process of spiking. thanks guys :)

ninhsavestheday

but the thing that i dont understand is.. why is my nitrate soo high.. isnt the reason why its high is because the ammonia was converted to nitrite then nitrate? why is there still ammonia then? if its still in the process wouldnt there be nitrite? ahhh im confused.. can someone enlighten me with there leet reefin skills. thanks

ninhsavestheday

i was looking at jeffs minibow's page and i was going over the journal. when he finished his cycling his test result are exactly like mine (except my nitrates higher)... errrr. maybe im colored blind because according to the color of ammonia its 0.

watertest102703.jpg

oh well, thanks for all your help. i love you guys.

take your water in to the LFS and have them test the water to get a second opinion.

however i would refrain from asking them if your tank is cycled, they will most likely say "sure, buy these fish"

there is also a common misconception with adding things before the cycle is ended.

people often want to add snails, hermits etc.. before the cycle has ended because of algae problems. then later they add fish.

not that i condone adding anything before cycle, but this thinking its pretty much backwards.

your cycle will have 3 parts, ammonia peak, nitrite peak, and nitrate peak.

typically fish mainly care about ammonia levels, and can wistand fiarly high nitrate levels etc..

however cleanup crews can handle ammonia, but not nitrite/nitrates.

so technically your adding livestock in the reverse order that is "possible"

just keep your photoperiod low and ride it out. that being said ... i have a *er friend* ya friend thats it who added hermits and snails before cycle and they didn't die.

Archived