Pod Your Reef

Small Shrimp

Yves

I had some shrimp hitch hike in on a sea squirt that I bought I think that they are some type of Periclimenes shrimp but cant find anything on them they are yellow with pink patches...has anyone seen anything like this? Thanks in advance and sorry for the crappy pic- Yves

Definately some type of symbiotic shrimp. Definately very cute. Are those the claws toward the top?

I tried looking for symbiotic shrimp, but I think there may be a terminology barrier. When you say sea squirt do you mean tunicate/sponge, or sea cucumber?

step 1: Find out species of sea squirt. 2: Find symbiotic shrimp for that type of animal. 3: if you can't determine the above two on species, try and determine from locality/narrow from there.

These types of shrimp (unique symbiotic shrimp) are my next tank project. I friggin love these little guys. If their needs could be met without the host (which is generally possible) these guys are ideal for those azoo tanks and other pico-type "reefs".

-Sumbel.

This came on a tunicate...and the claws are 'twards the top of the photo three of them came on it and are now cruising the tank. Thanks for the response Sumbel -Yves

There are entire ranges of animals who spend their lives in and around tunicates. The main thing I'd look for is identification on the tunicate, and moving from there.

Occasionally the marine/aquarium area of a local zoo, or an Aquarium will be willing to help walk-ins or help photo-ID.

Those are so cute. I -envy- you.

-Sumbel.

Archived