inTank Media Baskets

Cursed test kits!

bird

My Salifert calcium kit (just about out) reads my calcium level at 400 and the new API kit reads at 560.

What do I do now? :rant:

Buy another brand and compare? Jeeze. Thought this was going to be a fun hobby.

How old are the two kits? I would trust the salifert, but to be sure, you need a separate test done, such as one from your LFS.

That is what I was thinking. Will the calcium level still be the same from the time I take a sample from my tank to the fish store? It is over an hour away. That is if I went directly there from here but more likely it would be after I got off work in which case the sample would sit for about 9 hours.

That is why I pretty much got test kits instead of having the fish store test for free, because I have been afraid chemistry would change in the hours water would ist before I could deliver it for testing.

Oh, and the Salifert kit is 08-2010 and the API I just got from Marine Depot today, no expiration date I can see.

The calcium level will be the same when you transport/store it (not much in the water uses up calcium).

Just stay with the salifert reading. Both tests show you are in the normal range, so leave it at that.

The calcium level will be the same when you transport/store it (not much in the water uses up calcium).

Just stay with the salifert reading. Both tests show you are in the normal range, so leave it at that.

560 is normal?

Also, take a medium volume of water, and do multiple readings with both tests. If the levels you calculate are not consistent, that will help rule out any mistakes in possible procedure.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'medium volume of water' but I tested the salt mix I use (Crystal Sea Bioassy), it has mixed for over 48 hours, and the readings, though different than the tank readings, were about the same as far as difference in the 2 test kits.

Several pple have recommended the API test kit, but I am having my doubts as i hve always heard that Salifert was a good test kit.

Now for Alk. API measures 10dkh while Instant Ocean measures 2.5meq.

I may just forget the test kits altogether and stick with water changes and directions on the labels of additives, which BTW I have settled on Reef Builder and Turbo Calcium in top off water as one of the local fish stores uses that method and their corals are always the most colorful and growth is superb. Especially since sales locally are way down and most of the corals they have have been there for months, if not longer.

And if you mean 'take a couple tests of each kit to average the readings' I have been testeing both since I got home from work tonight about every hour and they are the same each reading.

By medium volume, I meant enough (~20 mL) so that you can take multiple tests from it. One meq/L of alkalinity is ~2.8 dKH units. I suggest trusting the API over the instant ocean.

What kind of corals do you have? I strongly suggest not giving up on test kits just because they don't all agree. Dosing without testing is like not following your doctor's prescription; an overdose or not enough dosing is inevitable as corals/calcareous algae grow and begin to use different amounts of each compound. I suggest going with a two-part calcium/alkalinity system instead of two seperate kent and seachem products. Even on the reef builder product site, it's listed:

BEGINNER: Use half a level teaspoon per 150 L (40 gallons) twice a week. Dissolve in at least one cup of freshwater. Check alkalinity every 2 weeks and adjust dose or frequency accordingly. ADVANCED: Check alkalinity, then follow dosing regimen above until alkalinity is adjusted to 4–5 meq/L. Each dose will raise alkalinity by about 0.25 meq/L. Size or frequency of dose can be adjusted, but do not exceed 1 meq/L per day. Thereafter, use as required to maintain alkalinity. EXPERT: After determining the alkalinity consumption rate, set up a continuous drip system. Use the following formula...

So do you want to be a beginner or actually know why and when you should be dosing? ;)

Really, the only reason I am dosing is because the salt mix I want to use is low in alk/calcium. Otherwise I wouldn't be dosing at all, just doing water changes. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far...well, when I had a nice reef tank some time back I used RC and kalkwasser in auto top off only and my tank was superb.

I had mostly LPS under VHO. Didn't have acans available like now back then, mostly frogspawns, bubbles, hammers, some softies and mushrooms. Zoanthids I seldom saw in the fish stores and ricordeas, chalice and some others never saw any.

Things are different now though and with so many products available claiming to be the best it can get confusing. The consensus here seems to be 2 part.

I do have some 2 part but because some locals are using the reed builder and turbo calcium with great results I thought I would give it a try for the time being. The 2 part did not seem to be holding the alk up throughout the day same as with the calcium levels. I think a dosing system would be what I need for it but do not want to invest in one right now. Maybe it has something to do with the salt mix, don't know at this point. Just getting started again.

Archived