Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nitrites in fish store "RO" water (maybe a repost)

NoChikenStrips

NoChikenStrips

Hello guys/gals

This is my second post and i am curious. I've just tested my water after 7 days and everything looks good in my new tank... But what bugs me is this; i got bored and tested my fish store's RO water. It's showing nitrites at 1.0ppm and nitrates at 10ppm(all with API saltwater kit). Is this right? It cost 30cents a gallon but is a cheaper alternative to buying a RO/DI system. This could be a stupid question but what are your opinions. I've used the "search" and didn't find anything related.

I'm still a noob at this so thanks in advance guys!

are they selling you fresh water or just water from their tanks, ive read alot that fish stores have sold, used water and even water with 1.017 water to them or lower i dont remember the exact number that is why i will always make it myself, cheaper too, just more work.

Ideally the R/O water you get should read zero for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and phosphate and have a very low TDS reading. I found that most LFS RO water is not the best option, I started going to a local drinking water store and found the water to be much better and generally cheaper. The reason for this I think is that the LFS doesn't replace the RO filters when necessary, where as a drinking water store is more prone to be on top of their water. I just recently purchased a TDS meter and am in the process of proving my theory.

NEVER trust LFS RO water, not matter what LFS it's from. If you do use LFS RO water, ALWAYS TDS test it first and make sure it's at 0 or at least no higher than 5! I have yet to encounter any LFS where I live that sold RO water that tested below 60TDS, one even was selling 300 TDS water... :scarry:

NEVER trust LFS RO water, not matter what LFS it's from. If you do use LFS RO water, ALWAYS TDS test it first and make sure it's at 0 or at least no higher than 5! I have yet to encounter any LFS where I live that sold RO water that tested below 60TDS, one even was selling 300 TDS water... :scarry:

I get my RO/DI UV sterilized water from Wal-Mart. Yuppers! I buy it in the 5g container at about .37 a gal. (I only have an 8g tank) It's a Culligon water filter system. I even went as far as calling the # posted on the dispenser and asked how often they change the filters. I was told it's every 30 days. Sure enough, management showed me the replacement log. They were glad to do it too.

I figure I spend about 36.00 a year on water.

In that case, it's worth it then. Not all of those machinese are changed as regularly and not all are as clean of water as you're getting from it. Consider yourself lucky and for sure keep using that water. B) I'd still test it periodically for Nitrites, trates and phosphates just to be on the safe side...

So, here is a question then (because I have found the same true with my LFS): is RO water the same as water purified by reverse osmosis? The grocery store near my house has a Culligan water system and sell water purified by RO and tests fine but I'm not sure if it is the same gig or not. Thanks!

So, here is a question then (because I have found the same true with my LFS): is RO water the same as water purified by reverse osmosis? The grocery store near my house has a Culligan water system and sell water purified by RO and tests fine but I'm not sure if it is the same gig or not. Thanks!

Reverse Osmosis is RO. I was using RO water from a grocery store that tested fine at first but that changed after a while. I ended up buying my own RO/DI system. It was hard to pull the trigger on but I love having to only walk 15 feet with the 10 gals a week I need for top off and water changes.

I see you're from MN. What lfs have you been going to?

Thanks, Rick Shaw. I have been using the RO water from my grocery store and so far so good but I saw that the RO water was purifed by reverse osmosis and the wording confused me. Not problems though, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried!

I have gone to several fish stores in the Minneapolis area. I have visited A World of Fish (over priced imo but they have some fantastic selection!); I have bought some LR from Something Fishy in Richfield area because thier prices are good for stuff like that, but there isn't too much selection to speak of; and then I go on a regular basis (too regular probably :P) to The Fish Guy in Excelsior. The owner, Billy, is awesome and all his staff are super knowledgeable. I feel like I can trust them all which is what counts. Plus, they have pretty good prices on frags and fish. He's a guy in his late 20s - early 30s who runs the place with his buddies. It's a sweet set up. haha Anyways, any place you have found you like in the MN area?

I think RO is the term we all here use in the hobby which is when you'll typically see it. In the water industry they just go for the complicated unabbreviated Reverse Osmosis. :P

Archived