ReefCleaners.org

Tank smell

ReefYourself

ReefYourself

Hello everyone,

Just had to ask this question since I have never seen a question being asked like this...but........what does your tank smell like (the water)????? For some reason, my water has some sort of snaily fishy smell....dont know...maybe something is dying...but when I do water changes and smell my tank...(when some rocks are uncovered...it smells like the ocean.....

Hello everyone,

Just had to ask this question since I have never seen a question being asked like this...but........what does your tank smell like (the water)????? For some reason, my water has some sort of snaily fishy smell....dont know...maybe something is dying...but when I do water changes and smell my tank...(when some rocks are uncovered...it smells like the ocean.....

My tank water smells like nothing... after a waterchange it smells like reef crystals...

how old is your tank?

ReefYourself

frogspawn, rics, 1 clam, a milli, acans, open brain, 2 large turbos, 1 nassarius, 3 fish, lots of copepods and amphipods...(almost looks like an infestation)....ohh yeah and few colonies of zoas + 1 candycane

Also have chaeto in sump (think I will remove it it hardly grows....) and LR in sump too....

running carbon and polyfilter

and 30 pounds of LR....24 gallon total volume tank

and hermits

are you running a skimmer? (and does your tank have a surface skimmer to get junk off the surface of the water?

IMO there shouldnt be any STRONG SMELL coming from your tank... unless the water is dirty, overstocked or something died.

nanoreefnate

what seems to be the problem here?

my tank doesnt give off a bad odor. theres something wrong with your tank if it does.

Enjoy it!! That's your "slice of the ocean" at work! Mine smells the same, and it's beem goin' strong for 3 years! I love the smell! ;)

ReefYourself

I have an overflow...(DIY...drilled to perfection).....yeah it gives off some sort of smell...bope just dont know....When I walk into reef stores here in my area....some places give off same smell...others dont....very strange...but I've always had that smell....

i've found that if my tank doesn't get enough waterflow and surface agitation then it can get a funny smell but otherwise it probably shouldn't have that

Mine smells just like the ocean. I know this because every time I go to the beach on weekends I get that same scent and it reminds me of my tank!! I just Love it!! :happy:

Wonder what could make yours smell differently! :huh:

I don't think you have a problem if it smells like the ocean. Is that what you mean by smells bad? I think it would be strange if it were really odorless...

electraglide999

Try filter sock, use carbon, do more water changes, aim power heads toward the surface, adjust your turn over rate for your sump, add a skimmer or get a larger skimmer as a last effort.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I feel there always a "Ocean" smell, but if it to the point of your room smelling or even a section of it, get some black carbon and that should take care of it.

the water should smell fresh, like the ocean, but only if you stick you nose right near it. I literally have to have my nose within an inch of my water to smell anything. if there is a general smell in the room, or a smell of rotten eggs, sulfur or extreme low tide that is apparent when you are not right on top of your tank, there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

ReefYourself

I changed my carbon and that odour is not as apparent anymore.....maybe my carbon was too old...but it does have an oceany smell......

I have carbon, polyfilter and a filter sock around my overflow pipe (in the sump)....i change my filter sock every other day.

I guess the biggest concern is how my corals are doing....

well,

My acans are growing, my frogspawn developed a second mouth, my ORA red plant grows like wildfire (it is really not coloring up though), my zoas are growing, I have a clam and he is always fully opened.

pH: 8.24

Alk: 9.8dKh

Calc: 445

Mag: 1350

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

Redox: 430

but there is that smell....lol

My tank smells like the ocean if I put my nose right up to the water. But it shouldn't smell once you walk into the room. If you're trying to replicate ocean conditions I would think it should smell like the ocean to a certain extent.

mine also smells like ocean, but only when cleaning objects that are in the water, such as skimmer cups and such. i mean arent we trying to recreate the ocean shouldnt it smell like it, i think some people are thinking that they can smell it when they enter the room and others are thinking when they put their faces up to it, or in my case their equipment.

Archived