Pod Your Reef

Paging JLWaves

johnmaloney

Here is the message I was going to send..

Hi XXXXX, (redacted)

First I would catch the crab, you can do this by:

Get a plastic box (tupperware works if clean and no soap residue), and put food in the middle. Than place a ramp up to the box, (the lid from the tupperware would work). Position the trap near the crab, it can get in, but after it falls in for the food it will have trouble getting out.

then just keep up on limiting nutrient import, (feed less), and increasing export (water changes, chaeto etc..) and keep up on manual removal. Turbos and hermits help with GHA, ceriths and nerites eat cyano.

John

• 2 months later...

Wow didn't see this until now.

Ironic, cause I caught the crab finally just recently. He came out at night, and I managed to battle him get him out of the tank.

I have repositioned my powerhead and maximized my flow around and it has been beneficial to helping the areas that have been problematic for me, but I still have 2 specific rocks that need to constantly be maintained to eliminate any red cyano or GHA that starts to develop.

I need to order some chaeto John - the chaeto I ordered last time lasted for awhile, but eventually just seemed to get all absorbed and widdled away (and went from being rather coarse and dark green to very very thin and light green). It seemed like an alternating light cycle just wasn't cutting it, so I started to keep the light on most all of the day but even then it eventually all just withered away.

I would like to order a big nice chunk of it, so if you don't mind, could you please tell me the next day you're making shipments out? I'll go ahead and put another order through. Right now I am just running purigen/chemi-pure elite/filter floss with consistent water changes every other week, but I think another new big ball of chaeto and water changes once a week might finally kick all of the problems I've been having out. I've really cut back on the amount of food I give to my three fish, and make sure it's extremely localized so that hardly anything gets wasted and pushed beneath the rocks or into the filtration - and a couple nassarius to help with the sand cleanup.

Thanks John.

i am so embarrassed by this, but this year's macro stock is so bad I am pretty much out of chaeto. :o I made the mistake of relying on wholesalers and aquaculture facilities with no hobbyist source backups for the last few months and it bit me, and I am out....Been trying too, I think I will have some next week, a hobbyist with an excellent culture is mailing me some tomorrow, just have to check it first to make sure it is still as good as I remember. If it is, I will know for next week's shipments.

Happy to hear you got that crab though. :)

Ok if you could please send me a message, my inbox is empty now. If what you receive word on is quality, I'd like to get a shipment in. Thanks John.

ok cool. if not fosi has some at all times. the chaeto i am getting is "clean" - pods and that is about it. if you want all the critters though I can do that, must have them around here somewhere.... i was thinking of having two separate chaeto bins in the future.... one clean and one with critters....what is your opinion since I got you here? (or anyone else?)

I might do that. Sometimes I post if it has something extra with it...the brown gracilaria had caprellid amphipods at some point, might just have to make an item for it...bring back "chaeto +" ....first things first though...

i have yet to train them....they go where they go, can't do much about that. :) what are you guys after again these days? mini stars, stomatellas, collinstas and other items I don't have right? :) How about bristle worms, spaghetti worms, feather dusters, mini cucumbers and assorted small snails?

edit - also i think it is funny that "paging jl waves" is one of the more popular threads in this subforum. :)

Mini stars, stomatellas, and spaghetti worms are always welcome in my book.

Feather dusters seem to get everywhere by default unless I guess if somebody wanted to start with dry rock and seed with critters.

Archived