inTank Media Baskets

Begginer nano questions (london calling!)

ultrajamie

Hello!

Where to start???

Well, i'm considering a nano reef and need some pointers...

1, have a 24x15x15 tank and a spare eheim 2026 filter and would like to use these on my reef. will the eheim provide enough water movement? it's rated at 650lph. i thought it would be useful because i can add nitrate and phosphate remover in one chember and bio-media in the other...

2, i can fit four T5 tubes in the hood... should i use 3 white and one blue or two of each?

3, Do i really not need a skimmer? It flies in the face of everything i've ever read about marine aquarium husbandry!

4, I only want to keep various mushroom corals, maybe a blood shrimp and a pair of clowns - would this be ok?

5, if i added a couple of powerheads should they be on a surge controller? are there any real benefits to this in a small tank??

6, i was wondering if anyone else on here is in london, and if so, what do they use to filter their tapwater??

thanx very much in advance for your help!

Hello Ultra,

I think Eheim's are great filters, I use one on my 125 gal fish only tank. They are high quality filters.

As for the lighting question, do you know what you want to keep? Clams prefer more white that blue lighting but you can keep just about anything under 50/50 actinic & daylight white bulbs.

You don't need a skimmer, but I use one on both of my reef tanks and I consider the skimmers to be a staple in keeping my water quality stable and my nitrates and nitrites in check.

Cleaner shrimp are excellent in reefs with fish. Wild-caught fish and cleaner shrimp exhibit one of the most fascinating symbiotic relationships you can recreate in captivity. Mushrooms will do really well under 4 50/50 T5's. A nice sized leather coral would look great as a "centerpiece" too.

Surge controllers are nothing that I would spend my $ on for a nano. If you get a few small powerheads and align them right you really don't need to consider buying one.

See if any LFS's in your area sell RO water, or you might be able to get some in the supermarkets. If London's water is anything like it is here I wouldn't use it in your tank.

I hope this helps some

Archived