SaltCritters.com

salinity keeps dropping

Jason7504

my salinity drops by like .04-.05 over the course of a month or 2..im just adding FW through my ATO but it should balance out with the water evaporating and leaving the salt behind. anybody know whats causing this?

my salinity drops by like .04-.05 over the course of a month or 2..im just adding FW through my ATO but it should balance out with the water evaporating and leaving the salt behind. anybody know whats causing this?

salt creep

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

+1 on the salt creep that would be my guess, also are you doing weekly water changes, if you are maybe your not matching the new SW 100% with the tank SW.

+1 on the salt creep that would be my guess, also are you doing weekly water changes, if you are maybe your not matching the new SW 100% with the tank SW.

no i stopped doing weekly water changes for a few months now and just do them once a month but the new waters salinity is matched with the tanks

My guess is a combination of salt creep, emptying your skimmer cup, and changing your floss. All of these would export salt out of the system at varying levels. Depending on how wet your skimmate is, you could be dumping out lots of saltwater. Do you squeeze the water out of the floss when you trash it? I've noticed when mixing water that it doesn't take much salt at all to bring up the batch by .01. Does anyone not see salt creep in the following pic of his tank? :)

1stand2ndchamber.jpg

So i guess you want to know how to fix the problem? I suppose you are doing 25% water changes once a month...roughly 8 gallons? Time to do smaller 4 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. You can still mix up the whole batch and store it with a lid on with NO problem. Get a big fat hose and you can drain the tank fast.

My guess is a combination of salt creep, emptying your skimmer cup, and changing your floss. All of these would export salt out of the system at varying levels. Depending on how wet your skimmate is, you could be dumping out lots of saltwater. Do you squeeze the water out of the floss when you trash it? I've noticed when mixing water that it doesn't take much salt at all to bring up the batch by .01. Does anyone not see salt creep in the following pic of his tank? :)

1stand2ndchamber.jpg

haha well i dont see that much salt creep mike

well i was gonna put a filter sock with some salt in the back sump and increase the salinity back to 1.026

dont do that...top off with salt water if you need to but dont add salt directly to the tank....

+1, are you putting your hands and arms into the tank alot??? i know you can get out alot of water over time doing that. just always check it, once a week taste a full one minute ( and thats to allow for the temp to adjust on the refractometer)

dont do that...top off with salt water if you need to but dont add salt directly to the tank....

i have done it with another tank and it worked well and nothing in my tank was harmed. the filter sock keeps all of the salt crystals from entering the tank and it just dissolves in the filter sock..i only increase it by like .01/day this way so it doesn't shock anything

BLoCkCliMbeR
First... can you please try using another codec like g.711 and see that the call does not have the same issue?

Thanks

operator error?

Archived