Cultivated Reef

Interesting Thread - Chemipure

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

I've used Chemipure or Chemipure Elite ever since I began reefing...up until a few months ago. I stopped using it only because I bought a bulk order of High Capacity Carbon and GFO from Bulk Reef Supply. I have no complaints about Chemipure at all but since I switched to a Carbon/GFO mixture I can’t tell any difference other than much lower price. I will say that I have zero nuisance algae as of late but that could be from many other factors. (I use about 2/3's of amount of my carbon/gfo mixture than comes in the small bottle of chemipure)

Anyway... I read this thread over on RC and maybe Boomer has a point. I do know Boomer is correct (and BRS says so too) that in a typical reef tank, carbon is usually saturated in around two weeks or so and becomes not much more than a biological filter. As far as the ion stuff, I am not a chemist. Agree or not....worth thinking about.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1705322

Mark

I have used Chemipur in the past but at the cost of it (especially as of late I notice the price has gone up and never see it on sale anymore) I quit using it long ago. It did seem to help at times and other times didn't. In freshwater it did help I know without a doubt.

I became addicted to Purigen some time back and now run it in a reactor. Since setting up my latest tank I have had to shut the reactor off for a few days at a time as the skimmer stops working, which might be a good thing, but I am about to start adding livestock and do not want the water too stripped of organics. I think some algae is a good thing, especially for snails and fish.

I may not even get a clean up crew though because algae is not growing at all. Diatoms have vanished and now only coralline is present so snails and such would probably starve.

Personally, with carbon, I have always been afraid of the possibility of leaching phosphates (not to say all carbons can do this, just that I do not use it myself) into the tank, though I always keep it on hand for emergencies.

GFO I have always been able to do without by keeping RO/DI unit tuned up and being careful of the dried/prepared foods I add.

Archived