Pod Your Reef

time to add stuff or not?

sjwalton

Ok the 10g may be ready for some polyps or leather or mushrooms or someththing. Its been three months, i got the topoff system right i got the water parameters right, except for that pesky temp that keeps ranging between 79-85. and the 72watts of light havent caught the house on fire yet so it may be time. What do yall think and any suggestions for what to start with. I have featherdusters everywhere and one little multi tentacle thing that is slowly growing that came on some of the LR. So.....suggestions please.

Christopher Marks

You really should get the temperature swings fixed before adding anything. The stress from that could kill off new additions to the tank. Are you cooling the lighting system in any way?

Nishant3789

79-85 is a big range.... but if all ure otehr water par. ar fine then go ahead and get some polyps or shrooms, they can take the stress of the temp changes. try to get that thing sorted out.... i have the same problem actually... tell me how it works out, good luck

nishant

85 might be a bit hot, but I would set my heater to stay at 85. That way the temp can never dip down and probably won't get any higher. So you wont have any more temp swings.

BustytheSnowMaam

I have a hard time controlling my temp too, on hot days it goes up and on average days it's in the "good" range. I have green button polyps and a toadstool leather coral, and they tolerate the temp extremes well.

Tasha

85 is that bad. my tank's temp is around that temp due to the 72W PC, and i havent seen any problem with the tank so far, 4 months already. the temp swing can be something tho. get a heater if you havent already gotten one. you may try several hardy corals. with the amount of light you have, you can try: colt, finger leather, xenia, shroom, frogspawn...and several more that i cant think of now.

Maybe you could raise your lights a few inches off the tank, add a fan or something. I wouldn't add corals while you're having 6 degree temp swings. Also, get a good heater and set it to about 82. Once you get your temp swings down to 2-3 degrees, I'd say you're ready to go.

I agree with Kapelakin.

Once you got the temp thing sorted, heres a list of good starter corals;

Button polpys and Mushrooms are the easist kind IMO. Star polpys are hardy too.

I also think bubble corals and candy cane corals are pretty good too.

Xenia are alright too, and as I've found out, very very hardy too.

Go slowly with adding corals. Dont make big or expensive purchases at the start.

Buy the easier corals first, and once you know they are doing well, go for one large coral, say a plate coral, and see how it goes. Always use each coral purchase to kinda test your setup. If it does well, you know you are doing well.

NaNO ReeFiN

Polyps are a great starter coral, green star polyps, button polyps, yellow polyps... they're all beautiful and hardy as well.

Archived