SaltCritters.com

Is this design ok?

gbishop

Hi all

I am going to upgrade my current reef tank to a complete new system, including a fuge & sump.

I have been playing with a few designs and would like comments on if it looks workable. Any better ideas welcomed.

I have built it in 3D mainly for me to get a better idea as to how it will look/work, so be gentle with your comments....

The first picture is of the filter tank. I was planning on having the option of putting a sponge, carbon & bio balls as required. This will flow through this first.

3dTank2b.jpg

The next picture is of the sump/fuge. The flow will come directly out of the filter tank into a simple overflow section (rear right), into the 1st chamber which will house a Seaclone Skimmer and one/two heaters. After that it will go through the bubble trap (1" gap") into the fuge chamber. Then over another overflow section in the rear left corner, where it will be pumped back up to the display tank.

3dTank3b.jpg

The next picture is of the main tank. I have put a simple overflow in the rear right corner for the drain pipe and a spreader bar on the return pipe.

3dTankb.jpg

The last picture is what I am hoping it will resemble.

3dTank4b.jpg

I have tried to use as simple design as possible and will probably have a ball valve on the main drain to adjust the flow etc.

All constructive comments welcomed.

Gary

nice art work!, but i see a few potential problems

to begin with, it seems like the order of filtration is incorrect. Ussually, you want the dirty tank water to go through the skimmer, then the grass, then the bioballs...first mechanical, then natural/chemical, then biological.

this order increases efficiency...

but, about the bioballs...you might hear from other members that they are not as beneficial as might think, for they prevent live rock and live sand from developing fully. they also might speed up the production of nitrates, causing further headaches.

a thought: depending on what sort of life you do want in the refuge, you might not even need the skimmer...look into mangroves, once they take root, yer skimmer starts to output less and less, i've witnessed this myself.

hopes this helps, and good luck.

Thanks for the reply Pigup,

I was unsure as to the order of filtration. I wondered if having either the skimmer or bio filter after the fuge would reduce any beneficial elements produced from it.

I will have a play around with my design and swap things round as you suggested.

Wingsfan: they were created using 3D Max. I'm only a novice with this software, but even so it helps me visualize my ideas etc...

Hi Guys,

I have thought about my design and come up with this:

3dTank5c.jpg

The flow will come in from the rear right into the skimmer chamber, then pass over the first bubble trap into the fuge (front half), then over the bubble trap on the left (bio filter) and up the return. It will also mean only using the one tank.

Does this seem a more efficient design?

I think that design is going to give you problems.... the lowest point, ie, the chamber where the pump is, looks to small in volume to me. This is where the water level will change during the day, and where your auto top-off sensor will live (;))...

I would get rid of the extra stuff around the return pump and have a nice big chamber there for the return pump etc.

I'm sure you figured out the overflow volume of the main tank and have made room in the sump for all that water..

what sort of flow are you looking to get ? and what are the tank volumes ?

I would put a SCWD on the return line, mount it in the tank and throw some rock in front of it. it will save having to have powerheads in the tank and will give you a much nicer water movement than the spray bar (IMO)..

-skeletor-

Archived