Top Shelf Aquatics

Cycling with live rock

newnano

I have just setup my 15 gallon high aquarium. I have added 15 lbs of live rock and 15 lbs. of agaronite sand. I am cycling with Live Rock. Here is the time line of what has happened so far:

11/19 - Added 15 lbs of Live Rock

11/20 - Started testing: Ammonia=0.5ppm Nitrite=0.25ppm

11/21 - Ammonia=0.5ppm Nitrite=0.25ppm

11/22 - Ammonia=0.5ppm Nitrite=0.25ppm

I guess cycling hasn't started yet. How long till I see a spike in the Ammonia? I have a Skilter 250 filter. Should I have the simmer running during the cycling stage?

Thank you.

About 30 days is normal. And if you love your tank, you may want to consider tossing the skilter and investing in a nice protien skimmer. The skilter is okay to start with, but I definetely recommended an upgrade. There IS a difference.

Cycling with a skimmer will slow and inhibit the cycle. I'd suggest shutting it off for a few weeks. It's only been a few days and the next 25 or so will be the longest of your life...lol. Cycle may niot take that long but that is what it can take.

Cameron

No....cycling time depends on what shape the rock is in when you place it back in water. When rock is shipped internationally (aka how we get it in the states) it's usually out of water long enough there is bacterial dieoff, algae dieoff, invery dieoff, etc on the rock. When this rock is placed into the tank this dead material breaks down into ammonia and starts the cycling process. Cycle time depends on how much dieoff the rock has and how long it takes to regenerate. Water volume doesn't have anything to do with it.

Cameron

hey the skilter is loud and dumps tons of bubbles in the main tank, if you decide to you could do as i did and scrap the top half of the bullble chamber and use the rest of the filter as a refuge it works awesome and alot of people told me that they were'nt good for refs but it has worked great for me just put sand rock rubble and some macro-culpera or something in there and away you go just dont pile the bottom part of the skimmer tube up with sand cause the flow will blow it all over use a little in there and put some rock rubble in it it works really well and i've used refs in all my tanks with succes and no skimmers no extra pumps or bubbles in the tank good luck also if you really want to once a month pop the top on the skimmer tube and the collection cup and skimm for a day or so just if you feel the need they do not skimm like the good skimmers but they do take alot of crap out of the water

Archived