Coral Vue Hydros

Question about changing salt

gus6464

I am currently using instant ocean salt for my weekly water changes. I am doing 1.5 gallons which is roughly 15% changes. I know some people use instant ocean reef crystals because they contain calcium and other trace elements. Should I switch to that or just stay with the regular salt? If my calcium levels are normal (420ppm) so far will switching to reef crystals increase it?

What do you currently have in your tank? A lot of people are happy with IO and if it's working for you then there's really no need to switch.

What do you currently have in your tank? A lot of people are happy with IO and if it's working for you then there's really no need to switch.

Right now just a pair of clowns. I am starting to think about what corals to begin with and I think I narrowed it down to a frogspawn, a zoa, and a gsp.

IO should be fine for your setup but of course you're more than welcome to try other brands. I mean how else are you suppose to find one that makes you happy unless you try them for yourself. :)

Psychographic

Search around, there are quite an alarming amount of people having Cyano outbreaks upon changing to Reef Crystals. I experienced the same outbreak after my first WC using RC. I dumped the salt and went back to IO and dose for Alk, Mag and Ca as needed.

the livestock in the tank think if it as moving from one area to another

I dont understand that because when I buy stuff from other people they are more than likely using different salts than I am. After acclimating them for about 30min-1hr, they are fine.

Archived