Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gal SPS/Clam tank updates

kennerd

OK, Here's the setup in its current state. I've found that photos were much better and easier to see under the 10k bulb, but without actinics on the setup, the 20k is much nicer in person.

10 gal standard tank

2" Southdown sandbed

one 13lb Rock

two smaller, softball sized rocks

Ecosystem 40 Hang-on Fuge

50w Ebo Jaeger heater

MaxiJet somethingorother (coralline covered, no idea what model anymore)

150w HQI fixture

150w IceCap HQI ballast

clip on 6" KMart fan

mated pair of orange stripe cardinalfish

Cinnamon clown

Maroon/blue pinstriped Porcelain Crab

misc hermits, snails, worms

"Accidental" SPS frags from the main tank

zoo frags

2 Trumpet frags

1 Electric Crocea, 4"

2 varieties of Deresa, 3.5" each

That's it, now for the pics

One thing that's great with this setup is the open top and ability to slide the fixture back, in order to see the clams from above.

Crocea from the top

Thanks, Caj. Hey, the more I buy, the more I need to frag, so don't push it!

I have to see how it grows out. It's an encrusting monti, but has this massive skeleton, so I gues it's more of a mounding pattern. Once I figure it out, we'll start taking names for the frag list. I've seen them for as much as $40-50 for a nickel-sized frag....I paid less than that for the colony.

I'm going to dig out the tripod to see if I can get better pics. The fish will be easy, as they are out all the time and don't even move out of the way when you put your hands/forcepsin the tank.

I have to dig out the scientific name, but they are orange stripes for sure. Not terribly expensive, but not seen too often in the trade. Great personality.

pic one of one of the cardinals. Pretty sure that this is the male. The female was hiding in the back.. Been rather plump the past few days....might be Grandpa 'Nerd in short time.

Ken:

What are you doing to keep CA/Alk in line.

I saw some Killer Danae's this weekend. I really need to get my hands on one. I know what you mean. Gotta see it in person.

Well, believe it or not, I've been using Red Sea "Success" line for 3 years now on the little tanks. 'Calcium+3" and "Buff" and occasionally "Green" to charge the macro up a bit & offer some iron to the crabs/shrimp. No lie, 1-2ml of each per week.

I used to have an aquadosing pump on this tank for kalk, but it was a royal PITA to dial in...used a needle valve to set the dose rate: gummed up with kalk & suckec. Now I just add top off manually each day and dose once a week.

done.

What brand 20k do you use? I really want to switch back to 20k on my tank but I'm afraid my coral wont grow as fast. Also do you happen to have a pic of it with the 10k? Just curious how it looked with it.

Archived