Coral Vue Hydros

Build the perfect nano...

Darold

Hello everyone, this website was recommended to me through ReefCentral.com. I have done 10 months of research, and even worked in the SW department of a LFS (hope this doesn't get too many flames :unsure:). I am ready to go ahead and get my 1st SW tank. The perfect tank for me would be a 30g; however there just isn't enough room at college for one. A 20g would be the absolute max I could fit in the dorm and still have room to walk around. I am willing to devote the extra daily time associated with owning a smaller tank. I am looking to do a FOWLR/LS setup. I am hoping to get a clown and possibly one other fish + a lively/colorful cleanup crew. No corals for along time (years). A 10-15 gallon tank might be the ideal range I am looking at. I have allocated a startup budget of $1,000 to get everything I need, and am willing to spend the other necessary money to keep it running. My major concern is building a bulletproof tank. One that is less likely to crash/need as much maintenance. Do not get me wrong, I am willing to do the maintenance, but do not want a full tank failure if I miss a day. It would be extremely helpful to me if you gave me your opinions on the perfect startup setup (Costing less than a grand) for someone who has not had a SW tank yet, but also does not have much room. I know the advantages of setting up the tank correctly before adding livestock, but would like any specific info that I might not have learned about nano's (All my research has been for 30g minimum tanks). A list of the major supplies with prices (If you happen to know any off the top of your head), would be unbelievably helpful. I am mainly concerned with the tank itself. What are everyone’s favorites (pro’s/cons of certain tanks)? Thank you for using your experience to help out a newbie. I am sure this has been brought up before, and as I spend more time at this site I will use the search function to answer "common" questions. I am looking forward to becoming a regular member here.

for a FO or FOWLR i don't think you'd be anywhere near $1000. probably under $300 imo.

a 15H is a very good choice, same footprint as a 10g but the height of a 50g (good for fish viewing). the only drawback of the height is light penetration for corals but since you're foregoing that for awhile (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) that shouldn't be a concern.

a basic hob filter (maybe a penguin, if you tend to feed a lot) helps water movement and keep surface scum down by breaking the water surface. how many fish you plan to keep? and what kind/size?

i would add a skimmer (remora, prizm, etc.) as i'm pro-skimming (pers pref).

adding on the basics and LR/LS you're probably around $200~$250, tops at this point. hellolights $50 for a dim 32W or $100 minimum reef-level 96W.

lighting/hood is where the reef-part starts creeping up. yeah, there's bells and whistles of refugiums/sumps, fancy filters, plenums, dsb, yada yada yada. but the lighting is where you mortgage your soul...or not.

beware the light side of the reef...tempting it is. strong is its call. pull you in it will. don don don dan dan-dan dan dan-dan :P

i think the 1000 buks he was talking about was to set up a 30 or 20 gal...come to think of it, that would be way to much for either size, a grand is what i would expect to pay for maybe a 55.

Ha-ha. Thanks for the informative yet still amusing advice. I really do want the overkill of filtration etc. I am looking at a 7g being the bare minimum, and a 20g as the max. I will most likely wind up in the 10-15 range. So a 12g is very likely. A sump is still unlikely, but I know it will help out a lot if I can figure out how to make it fit in my room. I would love to have a clown, and hopefully one other (undecided, but have few in mind). I am just as happy with other forms of life as fish, so a cleanup crew will entertain me.

The 1,000 is how much I am willing to pay for the perfect setup. I don't feel like I have to spend it all, and if any is left over that would be great too.

I just happen to be selling my 12 nano and I'm only asking 899.99

well within your price range:P, I agree with tiny 300 is a pretty good amount to start with deffinatley should get you a nice tank good filtration, rock and sand or go for an eclipse (tank hood, filter kinda sorry lights) for around 100 live sand for around 30 salt for 17 and a cheapy hydrometer for 10 or so and while it cycling you can upgrade lights and throw the rest of the bells and whistles on...welcome to NR-Yves

i highly higly recommend the oceanic 30g or 37g cubes!!!!!!!!! they are AWESOME looking. i just bought the 30g one.....WOWOOWOWOWOWOW i love it man. its sooo purty :) sorry, im just really excited.

Congrats on your new purchase. I just fell in love with a 20 long today and bought it. A little more water than I was looking for, but the extra 5 or more gallons will come in handy as a beginer I am sure. Also, it will give me more room ro work with etc. The tank takes up the entire top of my dresser, so I have to find new homes for all my electronics that were up there. SW and expensive elctronic equipment are REALLY good friends right?

• 2 months later...

oh yeah... there's nothing like ###### on a technics stereo, harmann kardon 5.1 surround system, or inside of an infinity gold subwoofer....

dont you love those FW people and their "hard water" problems... :P

Archived