Cultivated Reef

Feed Me?

WillyWonka

WillyWonka

i've always been under the impression that a lot of corals do not need to be fed because they produce zooxanthellae, which basically feeds themselves along with good lighting. but i really want to be good to my inhabitants and give them any food they should have. so far i am adding B-Ionic Calcium buffer once a day, which includes trace elements, and a touch of Reef Pure Iodide supplement a couple times a week. My tank is a little over a month old now and has all of the goodies i listed below in my signature. Should i give some more grub to these guys or will it just mess with my nitrate levels?

My polyps grow with or without food, but if you put a small peice of shrimp on them, they will gobble it up.

I have a green and red candycane that has been doing great for months, but not growing much. I talked to some people online about feeding it, and they say they feed theirs once a week and its growing. So now I'm feeding it. I think some corals can live without extra food, but it surely helps them grow.

Oh, and get some pictures of your tank! I wanna see!

I occasionaly feed my corals.

I feed my plate coral, candy cane coral and two types of bubbe coral.

I have other corals in the tank but I am not sure if they would feed in such a way.

Direct feeding does help produce fast growth.

Nishant3789

hmmm yea im trying to get my shrooms and button polys to repruduce more so im going to feed them.I just tried some of the saltwater fish pellets, and they closed up arround it and i think they are eating, but i was wondeirng if freshwater sshrimp pellets or cichlid pelletts would work too....? i turn off the current in the tank for 15 minutes whenver i feed with phytoplex so it doesnt get blown around. hth

nishant

Nishant, I am going to copy your idea too.

WillyWonka; you can add mushrooms and button polpys to the list of corals that can be fed.

Archived