SaltCritters.com

Anyone here have Acros under PCs???

Jugger

just wondering if anyone has keeped acros under PCs??? i hear alot of different stories about this topic....my feeling is they should be put under MH for best results... but i was wonder if any of you have good results with it... if so could you please post info on setup... what kind and how much PC light.... how long light cycle.... how far up in the tank.... how long they been in the tank... how much grow in what time frame... any color difference.... pics would be great...

the main reason i ask is i just got some free frags from a friend and was wondering how they might do and what i could maybe expect from them in my 20 gallon under 130 watt PCs... the tank also gets 3 hours of sun light a day

thanks

I doubt the sun will make that much of a difference. Put em close to the top and in decent water flow. With good water parameters you should be able to keep them alive and growing, but your coloration and growth will likely suffer perhaps substantially. I have kept a green slimer frag, millepora, and tabletop acro alive for about 8 months now in a 10g with 110w pc. I get moderate growth from the table top, but the other two don't do much other than encrust on the surrounding rock. I'm hoping all that will change with my new 70 hqi though.

my take on sunlight:

I've had two tanks in my apartment in the last 2 years. One had reflected sun (big ugly mirror building across the street) for a few hours in the morning. No issues with algae. moved the tank to a room that had direct sunlight for 3 hours in the morning, tons of algae (hair and then bryopsis).

the new tank is in the same place and the algae is starting to grow but nowehere near as biblically bad as the old tank had it.

I honestly doubt if the sun will help your corals seeing as you are in colorado where the sun's intensity is nowhere near as great as it is in the tropics. If anything, I think it can only aid in the nuisance algae growth. I could be completely wrong though.

Originally posted by chvynva916

I doubt the sun will make that much of a difference.  Put em close to the top and in decent water flow.  With good water parameters you should be able to keep them alive and growing, but your coloration and growth will likely suffer perhaps substantially.  I have kept a green slimer frag, millepora, and tabletop acro alive for about 8 months now in a 10g with 110w pc.  I get moderate growth from the table top, but the other two don't do much other than encrust on the surrounding rock.  I'm hoping all that will change with my new 70 hqi though.

thats what i was given was the green slimer and something else...good to know that they can be keeped alive... what color is your green slimer currently??? can you share a pic??

chvynva916....the tank gets morning and evening sun light....

Crakeur....thats one thing my tank is blest with is no alge..except the stuff that grows on the glass... but no hairy or nasty stuff... but i also have ZERO PO4 and nitrates...not sure if that has anything to do with it..

anyone else with Acro luck under PCs???

I have three SPS under the 96w quad, all seem to be doing fine, 2 acros and a monti. Look in the members section or stare at my avatar. I dose calcium and keep it in the 480 range, also use Marine Snow, all of them have shown growth and decent color.

I think the green slimer is notable for being able to grow under PC. I had a friend who had the same frag in a 10g with I think 72w pc and he had pretty decent growth.

Ditto here. Two frags of montipora digitata that seem to be doing just fine, and one piece of miscellaneous acro that's growing like mad. Kept on the top of a 20 with 96w PC.

• 2 weeks later...

well heres a frag we got from a guy who had this acro in his 65 with PC's right at the top of the tank - it wasnt doing too good no polyp extension or color - he gave it to us to put under our halide and we have had it for 10 months but heres pic after 6 months under a halide.

Brooklyn Johnny

Jugger check out this thread on my tank where I keep many sps under PCs...

10 gallon

It's got plenty of info and turned into a good thread, if anything's unanswered just shoot a response there...

Johnny

Archived