ReefCleaners.org

Marine Lighting Help! Newbie Alert!

ryz

AnthonyNguyen

Crakeur quote:

"35 lbs in a 15? either that is some dense rock or you got no room left for corals."

haha, this funny stuff. dang, imagize 35 lbs sitting on your 15 G tank, and its look like my house, chinese stylo...LMAO....

The tubes I bought are arcardia marine light! total cost me abt $100+ The lfs told me that they were metal halides and I could keep virtually anything with those light. What the hell...

And they ARE double ended.

Both say they provide superb light output.

Arcardia is a respectablr brand isn't it?

Originally posted by maroonclown

35 lbs is a bit much, even if it is dense.  I barely have 20lbs in my 20.  Good quality Fiji rock, nothing beats it.

There's a pic of my tank at the first page of this thread... doesn't look like it's too much, does it? We don't have that "good quality Fiji rock" in Holland X) So I'm stuck with whatever dense stuff the LFS is suplying.

ryz: I never seen MH of 18" and only 15watt. Sounds more like they have sold you NO bulbs... they are DE too. Hope you can bring that back and get some real MH or PC... MH are at least 70watt, and as maroonclown says PC are 2* 65watt for 24" i think.

RYZ:

Add Two More Bulbs 1x10000k 1xTrue Actinic and you will have enough for Sofites and Some LPS. That would be a total of 60 watts over your 20.

Also See if you can get the 24" Bulbs this time. They are 20watts each. Believe it or not many corals can grow well under NO, albeit multiple bulbs. There are people that have done some SPS under NO's. The Key for any coral under that lighting is water Quality and feeding.

Sorry to hear about the LFS. I'd Take those Lights back ASAP and

get your money back. Your Best bet is to take take that $100 and save up enough money to get a 2x65 PC setup from Hellolights. I am sure the shipping would be a pain, but well worth it in the long run.

Worst Case Scenario you need 4 NO tubes over that 20 to have some corals.

Reefer_Buddha

id just do the diy post about using a regent flood light with a 70w halide hci 10k. PCs are good to start but trust me after you see halide youll want it. Its a world of difference.

You paid $100 for NO bulbs?! You should be more careful, or you will get cheated by dishonest LFSs. You should check the internet to see what a real Metal Halide looks like. Take those bulbs back, and never go to that LFS again.

Maybe u can get a 2nd hand MH, cost me 20 euros + 60 euros for a brand new 70watt 13.000K bulb. I think 1 euro is worth about 1 dollar... so lets say 80 bucks for 70watt MH. You can use the NO bulbs u have now as additional lighting...

come to think of it: Maybe I want to have some additional lighting to my MH too. What is suggested? A 15watt NO actinic? or High Output bulbs (T5) actinic? Or two? Or 50/50?

I think you should add it if you want, but 13000k is pretty blue for a bulb. If you like that look, go for it, it won't hurt the tank. It might hurt your pocket-book, but not the tank. 20 euros, thats about 30-40 American dollars, right? You got a good deal.

Archived