Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help please, two days ago

Mountain Reefer

Mountain Reefer

I brought home our first fish for this tank. Its a new 10g nano reef. Tank has 20#s of live rock, 5 blue leg hermits and 8 snails and a camel back shrimp. This tank has been set up for 7weeks, all water pram.s look good trits 0, trates 20, ammonia 0, sg 1.024.

Water levels have been stable for 3.5 weeks. temp 80* filtration is aquaclear 150. I also have a maxijet 600 to move water.

So I get our yellowstripe maroon home and after getting him use to our water release him. First night was a blast watching him surf the currents in the tank. Idecided to turn off the powerhead so he would explore the tank some, but he never really did. Last night he was staying close to the top of the tank, but not really gasping for air or so i thought, however I do think he was breathing kind of hard from the beginning. Color was good, but he would not eat, I tried brine shrimp.

Anyway this morning when we got up he had died during the night.

1) Any ideas what would cause this?

2) Could my main tank be infected with?

I am concerned about putting another fish in the tank at this time, is this a valid concern?

We had already gotten attached to this little guy, and he was going to have his own reef!

Any ideas and suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Mountain Reefer

I did a 2gal water change yesterday, 20ppm high ?, my test kit says that's ok range. And my nitrites are 0. I am ordering new test kit soon, lfs had sold me Jungle products.

John

collectors squirt it on a reef....stuns the fish......

just nets up the sleeping fish......

clowns are know for being synide collected.....

go with captive breed, when you can.....

wouldn't that be cyanide?

that's a huge guess dickie. not all cyanide caught fish die.

Sea is right about bringing the trites down.

that is problem number one. If the inverts aren't bothered by the nitrites, the test could be off.

Fish death can be many things (cyanide is one).

How long was the fish at the lfs? Was it eating when you bought it? Did you see it swimming around normally or did it exhibit odd behavior (swimming patterns etc) in the tank?

Describe the acclimation procedure. If you simply floated the bag and plopped the fish in, the high trites could easily take out the fish.

Many different things to look at here.

Mountain Reefer

First, my nitrites are 0, my Nitrates per Jungle test method is 20 ppm which they say is accecptable? Inverts are all fine.

The fish never saw water at lfs, Iwas there when unpacked and brought him right home. I used the drip method and did it over a period of 3hrs. As I mentioned earlier, the first evening in my tank he was having a blast or so it seemed, he was surfing and checking things out. What else to consider? I brought this fish home thinking why stress him twice (bad decesion in hindsight) but my lfs is not the best in the business based on advice I here from them, and they would never consider feeding a fish for a week or so in a Q tank, when someone will walk in and walk out with a fish and they make a bank deposit.

I think I will set up my own Q tank for future additions.

John

Fish probably would have crashed at the store anyway.....try to buy one that has acclimated to the store first, observe it feeding, and check its fins and gills...then buy it!

Cyanide usually will kill a fish within a week or so, but the lastly effects are unknown.

Archived