Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mussels good for reef?

anthony812

anthony812

Hi guys/gals,

Ok, i have been a bad boy over the weekend..I went down to Laguna Beach, CA. From the Tidepool, i brought a couple critters back to my reef. I brought back 4 hermit crabs, assorted small tiny black snails, a couple baby abolone, and 2 baby mussels. I put everything in onfriday night and now its sunday night, everything seems fine. The hermit crabs are still alilve and doesn't bother any of my corals or other inverts. They are happily picking sand pieces off the ground and claning it. The snails are cleaning my aquarium walls, and the mussels settled onto the LR and i guess they sink their foot into them. My question is ..are the mussels good? I know htey are similar to clams and they are filter feeders. can anyone give me some info about them?

Tonight, i finally decided to frag my YEllow Clandillia..NOT YELLOW COLT..hahah...anyhow..i took a scissors and cut at the base of one of the branch, snipped right off! Then i took a toothpick and run it thru the base then tight it down with rubber bands onto a small piece of LR...The wound on the mother coral seems to have white powdery substances drifting out..is that normal? will the cut off piece eventually get attach to the new piece of LR?

I am crossing my fingers..^_^

If i succeed..i have a yellow clandillia now available for trade also.

NanoReefer53

hmm...not sure if those new critters are gonna make it in the long run. the water temperature difference is a whole lot different than what they're use to.

i c u used my fraggin method, wanna trade ? :)

i went tide pooling in california also and i noticed that alot of the tide pools get pretty warm when they have been sitting out in the sun for a while. i meant to bring a thermometer with me but it felt like they were at least as warm as our tanks. i dont know about long term servivability in warmer temps but i was tempted to try the same thing. id like to know how it works out.

anthony812

yes..i want to trade..but shouldn't i be waiting til the frag has been attached? or what should i do? let me know...you are in SD? maybe i can bring it by when you guys are ready for that meeting..i am in Orange County..i don't mind driving alittle south..^_6

anthony812
Originally posted by mxpro32

i went tide pooling in california also and i noticed that alot of the tide pools get pretty warm when they have been sitting out in the sun for a while.  i meant to bring a thermometer with me but it felt like they were at least as warm as our tanks.  i dont know about long term servivability in warmer temps but i was tempted to try the same thing.  id like to know how it works out.

I will keep everyone posted on what is going on with them...

anthony812

I ust noticed one of the Hermit crab i got from the tide pool is out of its shell..and the funny thing is that a Blue leg hermit is now inside the tide pool hermits'shell! and the poor tide pool hermit is trying to fit in a smaller shell that was left alone in my tank..that is so funny...but i guess they are not as aggressive as others' say about them...

Maybe they will slowly adapt to the tank conditions and perhaps survive? I dont know I guess we have to wait for the long term and see what happens.

Archived