SaltCritters.com

Hair Algae and Black stuff

Bunky Squid

Bunky Squid

I've kept a bunch of live rock and sand in a ten gallon tank, while waiting for my new 20 gallon to arrive. There isn't any sort of clean up crew currently, and some hair algae has started growing on some of the rocks. Also, I left for a day, and when I returned I notived some crusty/hairy black growth over part of the rocks that were originally purple. Does anyone know what this is? And how to deal with both problems. I would like to use this rock in my new tank, but not if there isn't anyway to clean it all up.

Also, does anyone know any good sources for live rock in the Bay Area, besides the Aquarium in Concord?

Dave

Yeah, I guess you can take them out and scrub them the surface to remove crap and leave teh coralline algae.

The hair algae you can easily remove by pulling loads off as well.

Just use safe methods to remove all unwanted pest status stuff, as now your tank isnt setup, neither are the rocks setup. So its rather good that you have the live rock now and waiting to setup the main tank.

Bunky Squid

I think I'll get all the rock out and scrub it this afternoon, probably change the water as well.

But has anyone else ever seen any black growth before? It's hard, but it looks sort of fuzzy at the same time. And like I said before, it appeared in 24 hours. I'll work on getting a digicam and posting a photo. If its something bad, I'd rather toss the affected pieces of rock, than risk it in my new tank.

I just might have some of the stuff you are talking about. I noticed some on a few isolated rocks a while back.

The stuff is brown and kinda looks like furry and at the same time resemble coraaline algae. But since my coralline algae has taken off, its disappared almost compltely.

But do get the scrubing done. You have got a good chance of getting rid of all nasties before you put it into the main tank.

Archived