Pod Your Reef

nano too hot

GilliganFx

fans, air conditioners, floating bags of ice.... all things I have seen mentioned... however one of the coolest things I have seen(and I guess this depends on your budget) was someone drilled out a large HOB filter, I think it was one of the new Tetratec's and installed one of the IceProbe units in it.... You can buy the ice probe online for like 99 bucks. Ingenious and way cool!!

By the way... I keep two nanos at 85 constantly, and drip makeup water like a fiend!...lol

i had the same problem (couldn't get nano below 86 degrees) but then i got a 3 inch AC cooling fan from radio shack, hooked it up with a power cord and switch off and old aquarium lamp, and bam, tank stays at 80 day and night. i have the fan blowing the air in one vent and out the other on the light strip.

frozen water in soda bottles for right now, short term. i would get a fan for long term. make sure its blowing air in not sucking air out.

Vixyswillie

Ideally, through your canopy, so it dissipates the heat from the lights. It will also blow across the water, though, so be prepared to deal with increased evaporation.

It's all really Yin-Yang. :D

cowfishlover

What's your tank size and room temp?

My 10 gal tank was 85 deg and I was going to take it downstairs where the temp is 68 instead of 78. Instead, I just keep the lid open and it stays at 78. When I put PC's on the tank I will probably have to move it downstairs. I probably should now because of the 10-20oz of water that evaporates each day. Topping off sucks.

ICE PROBE!!

Or splurge and get the premade nano-chiller for a few bucks more. The probe is preset in an aquaclear hang on filter so you get circulation and the probe pulls down the temp by 10 degrees. I have one on my 7 gallon and in the insane heatwave we had in NYC (105- 110 for a couple of days) my tank never got too hot.

premium aquatics sells ice probes and the micro-chiller for a good price.

Fans are the cheap way to go. Try using them on the light strip first, and if that cools things down well enough its ok. If not try aiming the fan at the water. That should reduce the water temp by a few degrees, but you have to make lots of top-ups.

So I guess if the el cheapo fan method isnt suitable, than the iceprobe thingy will have to do.

Nishant3789

what is sdo bad about topoffs? is it really that hard???? u just ad a cup or so of water everyday....

nishant

btw, i NEED FANS!!!! grr but i cant figure out how to connect them someone pelase tell me how!!!

nishant

Just get a PC fan or something equilvant, and wire it to a DC adapter, thats what I did. Simple. Turns on same time as my lights and keeps things cool.

There's nothing wrong with top-ups, just a chore to do I guess. :P

Archived