Innovative Marine Aquariums

low salinity

aquariumclown

aquariumclown

Need some help here asap.

I have a 10 gal nano and I made a mistake when forgot to pull the plug on my fresh water auto-top off system, so when I siphoned out the old saltwater, it topped it off with fresh water and I didn't notice it, I've filled it back up with NSW (this is all I have here, I dont have any salt), the salinity is only 1.018. I know this is ok for the 2 maroon clowns but I also have star polyp, toadstool leather and some zoos in there, will they be ok until water evaporates and salinity comes back up? or should I run out to get salt asap? Has anyone ever had this happen to them and the soft corals survived ok at low salinity?

TIA

Fix it over a few days. Too much change too quick w/ cause more problems. Maybe add some salt (just a little to your topoff water) and keep consantly checking the level. You could also just wait a few days and do another water change.

Cameron

Liquid told me a story of how he bought a clown at petco once and on a whim he decided to test the water that was in the bag. Fresh. No salinity at all. He double and triple checked it and it was the equivalent of ro/di.

He took the fish and the water to petco and asked them about it. Apparently some moron left the fresh water running into the system over an extended period and all their tanks were fresh water. not sure as to the livestock in the water but it lets you know that they will survive the slight drop.

aquariumclown

Thanks for the help guys. Everything still looks fine today and I'm gonna let the salinity raise by evap like birdman says. It's up to 1.020 now. It's a good thing I took you guys' advice and not bump up the salinity right away, I noticed my bta split this morning, I guess it was due to the sudden drop in salinity. But if I bump up the salinity right away the btas might not be so happy or even die.

Thanks again!

aquariumclown
Originally posted by Crakeur

Liquid told me a story of how he bought a clown at petco once and on a whim he decided to test the water that was in the bag.  Fresh.  No salinity at all.  He double and triple checked it and it was the equivalent of ro/di.

He took the fish and the water to petco and asked them about it.  Apparently some moron left the fresh water running into the system over an extended period and all their tanks were fresh water.  not sure as to the livestock in the water but it lets you know that they will survive the slight drop.

Oh yah, I believe that. I read some articles before about the relationship salt has with marine fish and in general fish don't really need the salt in the water, they actually repel the salt in their gills normally. When marine fish is put into, say fresh water, they're gills dont have to work at all at repeling the salt and this actually helps fish from stress. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by aquariumclown

Oh yah, I believe that. I read some articles before about the relationship salt has with marine fish and in general fish don't really need the salt in the water, they actually repel the salt in their gills normally. When marine fish is put into, say fresh water, they're gills dont have to work at all at repeling the salt and this actually helps fish from stress. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

Interesting, would it be safe to say the reason we raise the salinity with a sick fish is part so that we make it work harder to "repel the salt", and in turn raise its metabolism to help it heal faster?

Archived