ReefCleaners.org

Hairy crab, reeef safe?

CrocoDillon

I have found this crab in my cycling tank...

krab.jpg

It's pretty much always when I look in his cave, but not this time, so I quickly took a pic. But it was dark and the pic unsharp, he ran away so I couldnt take another pic. what kinda crab is this and is he reef-safe?

For the must part, they just eat algie, I've heard people suspecting them of doing damage but have yet to see any from the hairy crab in my tank..and he is getting to be quite a big. They are hard to catch to.. It's basically a ugly emerald crab.

I've got 3 or 4 running around in my tank. Have yet to catch them doing anything more than eating algae. Mine are mostly nocturnal and quite shy. Fast little movers too. But not fast enough; one of my peppermints was chewing on one the other nite.

I swear mine is a Ninja, Last time I saw it, it was bigger then 2" across, today I just got finished moving everything from a 29 to 55 gallon tank and didn't see him Once.. But I got a feeling he will be showing up in a couple days...He always does

And you are sure it's the same crab? Mine is a little bit shy too, comes out only when it's totally dark and when I flashlight him, he doesn't moves (as if I can't see him) and after waiting a while he moves very slowly to his cave. Haven't push him into some Ninja actions.

567a, thnx for ur reply, I was hoping it would be safe to add a peppermint shrimp to control Aiptasia. Now I know... well, at least it's safe for the shrimp. :D

Well, luckily it isn't a Gorilla crab, hear some bad things about those...

I lied, last nite after I posted this and shut down my cpu I snuck downstairs with a flashlite.. and Guess who I found had somehow HITCHhiked AGAIN!! From the 29 to the 55 gallon tank.. The hairy crab.. Omg He was Huge and in the middle of moalting.. Soo Gross.

Yea i'm sure I only have one..and it keeps getting bigger!

dammit, I new I had a mutant crab.. After he is done molting I'll try to take some new pics.. I'm waiting for the day when I go downstairs...look at my tank, and just see these Huge Hairy crab legs hanging out the top, and my tank trying to run out the door.

OMG!! You know my tank is in my sleeping room... if I have one of those mutant crabs, he could sneak up on me while I'm sleeping. Shouldn't I install some sort of alarm?

Archived