Pod Your Reef

Marine Salt Rant!

polok121

So i have been using my LFS water since i first started t my aquarium. I would go every weekend to get a 5 gallon buckets worth of reef water to do a change in my 20 gallon tank. recently though i have been running in to a low Alk problem which i posted here. which after testing i realized i had a Magnesium issue which i started posting here.

Today i went to the LFS to get a fresh bucket and i asked them what salt they use and they said that they either use Kent Marine or Instant Ocean.....When i got home i decided to test the bucket before i replaced and the test results read 1000!!!!! I DONT GET IT??? if they use that salt why would it be so low?? what would cause that?? any thoughts would really help

I would *almost* be more bothered that they are using different brands of salt. Switching salts is very stressful.

Yah i just found all this out today!!! but i thought if both those salts already have a pretty high Mg level roughly around 1200-1400 why would it be so low??? with a freshly mixed batch??

well i made my own saltwater and did a water change. I bought a bag of Kent Marine salt. I tested the change water and a parameters were perfect. Most importantly the magnesium was at 1300mg....i just cant figure out how the LFS was able to screw up there water mix....

LFS saltwater sucks. You have to figure they use the cheapest salt available to make a profit. What I would be the most concerned about is if the levels are that low wonder what the TDS is. If the levels are that low they have to be neglecting there RODI filters. I would almost bet your TDS readings are over 100.

one of the best things you'll ever do in this hobby is purchase your own RO/DI unit and begin mixing your own salt....you can do this in an apartment even.

Archived