Top Shelf Aquatics

Adding clean-up crew

Cilibrin

At what time should I add snails, hermits and other clean-up crew? Should I wait until the tank completely cycles?

What clean-up crew is best for a 6-gal?

Many thanks.

Wait until the cycle is finished. For a 6-gallon tank maybe try @ 6 Astrea snails and @ 5 hermits. I like Zebra hermits. They seem to stay small, haven't been aggressive at all & they look cool. They also are always running around my tankeating either algae or leftovers after I feed my fish. Avoid cucumbers, starfish, urchins, nudibranchs, etc.

Some people like a combo of snails & hermits, some like just snails. It really depends on what you want your clean-up crew to clean-up. If you just want them to munch algae then gear it towards that. If you plan on having a fish, etc. that you're going to feed & you want your crew to clean up uneaten food as well as algae then include that in your plan. There are snails & hermits that will help you accomplish both.

Heh. I ultimately knew I'd have to wait to cycle. But I'm like a kid here with a new, exciting project. I'm absolutely dying to have anything, even a snail, crawling around in the tank. Everyone must go through this waiting pain.

Archived