Top Shelf Aquatics

what kind of sea fan???

viejito55

I've had no luck with gorgs and sea fans. Mine have all done well with polyp extension but invariably they get covered in slime or some other algae and they die.

ok, I thought they would look good in the tank, but I can see how they can easily get covered with slime. did they fall off and die or remain covered with algea? it might be cool if they just remain straight with some algea...

i might not get them now though...

thanks..

Smokin-Reefer

that is a NON PHOTOSYNTHETIC sea rod. I would highly suggest you skip this one and use the money to get something else. Very difficult, as a novice, or an expert to take care of this. If you really want a sea fan, look for one that is photosynthetic. You MAY be able to keep this thing alive for awhile, but as crak already stated, they don't do well in aquariums.

HTH.

The "slime" they get covered in is their skin sloughing off. after about a day or 2 in strong current, it will fall off, and then open fully again. Could be algae in some cases. Target feed non-photosynthetics AT LEAST once a week.

bird it is a two pronged issue. One is they need to be target fed. two, they need enough current to keep algae and slime from growing but not enough flow to blow off their exterior.

they generally don't do very well for these and other reasons.

No doubt. I am working with my first. So far no necrotic tissue. Ive had it about 5 weeks now. Went through a "skin Slough" the first week, and has been bright yellow/orange since. We'll see how well I've been able to do in a few months.

I've been told that the sluff is gorgonians ways of combating algae growth on it. I've been succesful keeping non photosynthetic purple and yellow gorgonians by feeding regularly and keeping them under pretty decent flow. My purple is kept under the return of my eclipse and has been fragged several times to keep it in the tank. Hope this helps-Yves

Archived