inTank Media Baskets

Dosing Nano Reef 2 Part

035mazdaspeed

I was told at my LFS that I should start dosing my 12dx with 2 part nano reef from kent marine to promote a healthy tank and coral growth. also coraline. I was just wondering what i need to test for when dosing? I test for the norm right now (trites, trates, phosphate, ph, ammonia). Just wondering what else i should be testing for when using that. Thanks.

Dont go with Kent. i suggest you use the B-Ionic 2 part system. kent's has more phosphate and is more inconsistent.

also what you would need to test for is calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

ranges for these levels are as follows

Ca. 430-460 PPM

Alk. 9-11 DKH

Mg. 1290-1380 PPM

thanks for the info reefnate. anybody prefer kent over b-ionic or ionic over kent?

Dont go with Kent. i suggest you use the B-Ionic 2 part system. kent's has more phosphate and is more inconsistent.

also what you would need to test for is calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

ranges for these levels are as follows

Ca. 430-460 PPM

Alk. 9-11 DKH

Mg. 1290-1380 PPM

TriggerHappyDude

Can I add some questions that go along with this main topic, if you please?

What is meant by 2 Part Dosing? And what is the overall impression of SeaChem dosing?

I use SeaChem Reef Salt now and have had great water quality.

i use seachem powders and they seem to work fine and i think much cheaper than b ionic

reef builder

advantage calcium-which also helps to maintain mag too

two part dosing means dosing alk and ca seperateley

the other kind of dosing means kalkwasser or a calcium reactor ( fine,not really dosing)

TriggerHappyDude
i use seachem powders and they seem to work fine and i think much cheaper than b ionic

reef builder

advantage calcium-which also helps to maintain mag too

two part dosing means dosing alk and ca seperateley

the other kind of dosing means kalkwasser or a calcium reactor ( fine,not really dosing)

So using SeaChem powders isn't considered dosing? I haven't tested my alk, ca, mg etc...yet...but if its out of wack, do I need to dose or use powders or what is it I might need to do?

I just added 10 frags to the tank, and want to make sure they have the opportunity to grow.

it is dosing, i create a solution that i dose over time like the b ionic based on my tank

i made it in a bottle and every day i dose a portion of that bottle that i measure out.

if the tank youre talking about is the 34 gallon thats like borderline of dosing two part and using other stuff, if you have an ato you can use kalkwasser for your top off instead of two part.

itll save you money in the long run

I've used b-ionic in the past, and it worked well. I'm using brightwell now. It's about the same. Lots of people use the kits from Bulk Reef Supply.

You won't need to test Mg too often. Once you get it up above 1350, it won't be depelted very rapidly. I check my Mg about every 2 weeks, sometimes less. You'll need to test your alk and calc often (~daily) for the first week or two until you determine your tank's demand. For me, my alk was always the weak link, so I test that the most frequently. My calcium tends to stay around 400.

Before you start dosing, monitor your alk and calcium levels. You might find that your calcium is fine, and then you only need to address the alkalinity. Also, check your Mg. If it is below 1350, you'll have a hard time maintaining the appropriate levels of alk and calc.

How does kent have phosphates in it??

inefficient processing methods with lower grade raw materials.

also kalkwasser is another inefficient way of adding calcium and alkalinity to your tank i would advise against it.

oh yeah and +1 to BRS 2 part. cheap and really good stuff. better than kent.

TriggerHappyDude

So no opinions on the SeaChem stuff? I also have an iPhone app from them with calculations on how much to dose according to what the parameters are.

I've used b-ionic in the past, and it worked well. I'm using brightwell now. It's about the same. Lots of people use the kits from Bulk Reef Supply.

You won't need to test Mg too often. Once you get it up above 1350, it won't be depelted very rapidly. I check my Mg about every 2 weeks, sometimes less. You'll need to test your alk and calc often (~daily) for the first week or two until you determine your tank's demand. For me, my alk was always the weak link, so I test that the most frequently. My calcium tends to stay around 400.

Before you start dosing, monitor your alk and calcium levels. You might find that your calcium is fine, and then you only need to address the alkalinity. Also, check your Mg. If it is below 1350, you'll have a hard time maintaining the appropriate levels of alk and calc.

If you are dosing the B-Ionic 2 part with a twin line doser, and your calcium is fine but your alk is low, what would you doi since the doser doses the same amount of each.

I have not yet started the B-Ionic, but just wondering what I would do if this situation arises.

I have a Sentry Doser for topoff right now only but want to try sps so thought B-ionic might be needed.

The only solution, if you couldn't automatically dose separate amounts, is to add on your own how much extra calcium or alkalinity is needed.

+1

I was actually dealing with that last week. I have two dosing pumps, but they're on a single timer. I switched salt mixes (Red Sea Pro to Oceanic), which resulted in really low alkalinity. I had to manually dose a couple times to get the alk up. Now things seems balanced once again.

As an alternative, you could add a small ball or needle valve on one of your lines to choke down the flow from that component.

• 3 weeks later...
035mazdaspeed

Just wondering how much to dose my tank? Its a 12 gallon nanocube dx. I dose 2.5mL of bionic each day but my calcium is at 420 and mag is at 1250 or so. Alk is at 9. Just wondering how much somebody with my tank doses daily just so I can get an idea.I used the dosing calculator and it says like 22.5 mL. Does that seem high to you?

First, why are you dosing? What kinds of corals are you keeping that require 2-part dosing. If your keeping some sps and lps corals then, yes you may need to dose. You need to figure out how much demand for CA and ALK your tank needs. I suggest using the 2-part reef calculator.

Someone posted the normal Ca, alk and Mg lvls above. All THREE go hand in hand with each other. Once you figure out how much of each part your tank needs daily, then you can dose each amount.

So first measure those lvls each day, twice a day for a couple days to figure out the demand.

B-Ionic, BRS 2-part are fine to use. You will need to dose the CA and ALK daily and the MG once in awhile. too much of one will lower the others down.

Just wondering how much to dose my tank? Its a 12 gallon nanocube dx. I dose 2.5mL of bionic each day but my calcium is at 420 and mag is at 1250 or so. Alk is at 9. Just wondering how much somebody with my tank doses daily just so I can get an idea.I used the dosing calculator and it says like 22.5 mL. Does that seem high to you?

the 22.5ml is what is needed to bring the Level up to what you want it two. I would stay with dosing 1-1.5ml per gal a day.

035mazdaspeed

So your saying to dose the 22.5 once then do the 1.5 or just stay doing the smaller dosing and bring it up slowly?

First, why are you dosing? What kinds of corals are you keeping that require 2-part dosing. If your keeping some sps and lps corals then, yes you may need to dose. You need to figure out how much demand for CA and ALK your tank needs. I suggest using the 2-part reef calculator.

Someone posted the normal Ca, alk and Mg lvls above. All THREE go hand in hand with each other. Once you figure out how much of each part your tank needs daily, then you can dose each amount.

So first measure those lvls each day, twice a day for a couple days to figure out the demand.

B-Ionic, BRS 2-part are fine to use. You will need to dose the CA and ALK daily and the MG once in awhile. too much of one will lower the others down.

the 22.5ml is what is needed to bring the Level up to what you want it two. I would stay with dosing 1-1.5ml per gal a day.

I wouldnt dose all at once. I would dose in smaller amounts and test. Once you get the level up to where you want it. Dose to maintain that level.

Dose what your tank needs. Every tank is different. Some tanks don't require dosing. Some only need a couple mL a day. Others, mine for example, require 18 mL of each part daily. My alk had such severe swings that I had to get dosing pumps. I now dose my two-part six times daily. By the way, I only have a BC-14. I admit, my demand seems abnormally high, but it is what it is. Keep dosing at your set rate, check your levels, and make slow adjustments to bring your numbers where you want them.

mazdaspeed, it looks like you just need to bring your magnesium up a bit (abot 1350). I recommend Brightwell Magnesion. Otherwise, your calcium and alk looks fine.

ReefYourself

I think mag over 1300 is fine...never had problems at this level...if you want to raise it I suggest raising slowly...through water changes (add magnesium to it). And if needed at it once a week...the goal is to keep parameters in check but do not fluctuate them too much....personally lost corals dosing things to fast....

Archived