inTank Media Baskets

PH over 8.8

appsgang43

I am having a problem with tank, my corals look stressed, one of my fish looks sick and I just change 2 gallons of water in my 30 gallon tank. My ph remains high, what do I do to bring it down. I checked the water before I put in in and my ph in the bucket was only 7.4. Help!! :o

well for one you don't want to lower it quick or you'll cause more harm than by just having the high pH. changing just 2 gallons in a 30 gallon tank isn't going to do much. I would change 5 more and target an 8.6 pH for now. And then tomorrow.. hit it with another 5 gallon exchange. 7.4 for newly mixed saltwater is kind of low.. what salt brand?

what are you using to test the pH with?

sorry..trying to work and reef.. what are your alk #'s?

well for one you don't want to lower it quick or you'll cause more harm than by just having the high pH. changing just 2 gallons in a 30 gallon tank isn't going to do much. I would change 5 more and target an 8.6 pH for now. And then tomorrow.. hit it with another 5 gallon exchange. 7.4 for newly mixed saltwater is kind of low.. what salt brand?

what are you using to test the pH with?

sorry..trying to work and reef.. what are your alk #'s?

My alk is high also, 12dkh, I use API test kits. I am doing another 2 gallon change now.

My alk is high also, 12dkh, I use API test kits. I am doing another 2 gallon change now.

I use reef Crystals salt brand.

12 is at the high end of the scale.. can you test what the mixwater alk is at?

I am mixing now, but my water temp is only 67 so trying to bring it up because I put the usually amount of salt in and my salinity is registering low. Would my alk measure correctly if I try it now?

that sounds a bit believable.. it may still be testing a bit low.. but it's not at 11.. thank god. :).. let's hope we see 8.7 on the pH at least!

Thanks for your help, will keep you posted.

that sounds a bit believable.. it may still be testing a bit low.. but it's not at 11.. thank god. :).. let's hope we see 8.7 on the pH at least!

PH is still reading 7.4 in mix.

if you get really desperate, white vinegar will help bring pH down. use 1mL per gallon of SW volume.

I don't want to sound dumb, but I have a 30 gallon so how would I figure out SW volume. :mellow:

You never figured out how much water your tank displaced when you first added in your LR+LS?

Maybe i'm just overly meticulous... :lol:

You could always guesstimate it, but keep it on the lower side.

Archived