SaltCritters.com

Warehouse's 20L Tank (w/ new pics 2-13

Warehouse41Ant

Wow man that is a good xmas. Tank sounds likes its coming along good. Let me know how the fragging goes. I got a hammer coral id love to frag. Its got two different branches that split into like seven or so heads. My gf got a new camera for xmas so once i get some time ill get some updated pics of my tank up. Everything is kinda on hold for now since im going to cali for new years. After that ill be saving money for more stock. Merry xmas and happy new year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warehouse41Ant
Wow man that is a good xmas. Tank sounds likes its coming along good. Let me know how the fragging goes. I got a hammer coral id love to frag. Its got two different branches that split into like seven or so heads. My gf got a new camera for xmas so once i get some time ill get some updated pics of my tank up. Everything is kinda on hold for now since im going to cali for new years. After that ill be saving money for more stock. Merry xmas and happy new year.

Thanks, man. Merry X-Mas to you too. I'll keep you posted on the fragging, it's all new to me! I May try to get a piece off of my frogspawn to place elsewhere in the tank when I go to do it...we'll just have to see. I'm not sure how small of a piece you can take off of a Kenya Tree and have it survive and thrive....hopefully it doesn't have to be much!

One thing I left out was a gift cert to a LFS. This particular one doesn't have a great coral selection, but the owner is a really nice guy and he carries some good quality (although limited quantity) fish. I'm thinking of adding a yellow watchman goby. Any thoughts?

Ive always been amazed with symbiotic relationships some animals will form. Id love to get a shrimp/fish pair. I cant remember if you something that could possibly host your frogspawn. That could be neat too. Where do you go in CB? The guys at aquapets near 108th and maple are awesome and not bad selection either. I think i wanna get a blue velvet nudibranch for my tank. I have a terrible problem with rust brown flat worms and I read on article on reef central (shhh) that said thats all the nudis eat. The only downside is that they can starve after all the worms are gone. I have a refugium so hopefully that wont be problem. Im just so sick of seeing them.

Looked back and you already have clowns.

Warehouse41Ant

Well, the algae problem is pretty much under control. Cyano has been bad lately, but overall my CUC seems to be getting everything under control.

There's a link to a video I shot yesterday. Only under the actinic lights as it was shot while my tank was going through it's sunrise cycle, i.e. actinic only. The FS is showing amazing growth and it appears it's going to split soon. I will trim it back, although I'm not sure how. Never done it before. I can just see one of the large heads is starting to (at least what it looks to me) split itself.

Any comments on progress, look of the tank are welcome. Still love my rockwork, just needs more coral on it!

Also, fish update: got myself a Yellow Watchman Goby. Named him Gob (George Oscar Bluth, arrested development reference). He's still been pretty skittish, but I've seen him out a few times.

• 3 weeks later...
Warehouse41Ant

Video was taken with my Canon Powershot S5IS. Does pretty good with the video. And yea, I'll get updated pics sometime in the next week or so. It's been awhile and I've had some nice changes to the tank.

Warehouse41Ant

Violinist inspired me to take some pics tonight. They're not the best pictures in the world, but enough for an update. Plus there's 10 of them. So here you go!

A shot of my Watchman doing what he does best: hiding where I can't see him.

IMG_0151.jpg

New GSP frag courtesy of NanoReefNovice

IMG_0140.jpg

And under full lighting with a curious clown

IMG_0132.jpg

Frogspawn and two frags I pulled off that are doing quite well. Under actinics

IMG_0142.jpg

Frogspawn under full lighting and showing great extension

IMG_0137.jpg

New rock from LFS full of mushrooms. Also had a fireworm on it, but I'm not overly concerned. If I get stung, I get stung. If not, great. They have this lovely green florescent color which doesn't come through well in the pictures.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

A mistake: Acro. He's not happy and you can see it bleaching from the bottom up. Unfortunately my tank wasn't ready and my lighting probably isn't the best for it, but I took a risk. Paid for it. Luckily it was only a $20 mistake. I'm hoping he pull through, but polyp extension is pretty weak. Probably should have tried a birdsnest first. Live and learn.

IMG_0135.jpg

Kenya tree which is at least twice the size it was when I bought it

IMG_0136.jpg

And of course, the FTS (as of 1-18-09). Ignore the bag in the top left. It's holding chaeto until I mod my AC70 into a fuge.

IMG_0150.jpg

Thoughts?

Warehouse41Ant
It all looks great! Bummer about the acro but the kenya sure looks good.

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. Even moreso since seeing your tank's thread. I've been thinking of upgrading lights, and unsure whether to go T5 or MH. I'm leaning towards T5 simply because I have a top to keep my yellow watchman from jumping. Any thoughts?

Looks great so far! is that a macro in the bottom right? hope the acro pulls through!

Thanks, I appreciate it. It is a macro, no idea what it is though. It was a "penny macro" from reefcleaners. Pretty nice stuff, but I can't get it to stick anywhere. Every time I clean the tank it comes out of the sand. I do like it though.

And yes, I'm pulling for the acro. If it can hold on for a couple months I'll be doing an equip upgrade that might keep it alive. We'll see. I'm not overly worried, but do somewhat feel bad. It was this beautiful neon green before I got a hold of it. Now part of it's bleaching and it's losing its bright green color. :(

I'm leaning towards T5 simply because I have a top to keep my yellow watchman from jumping. Any thoughts?

I had (still have in the box) a clip-on MH fixture.

I didn't care for it because a) it cooked the tops off some of my zoas due to the tank being so shallow B) with the clip on you can only get it so high above the water so the sides of the long tank get pretty dark and c) it gave me splitting headaches looking at it even when it was just in my peripheral vision.

Haven't noticed anything doing poorer under the t5's than under the MH. Certainly the zoas are happier.

If I did MH again it would be part of a fixture I could hang from the ceiling and the fixture would also have some t5 actinics. About the only thing I miss about MH is the shimmer effect.

But that's all just me and my tank and current livestock *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...
Warehouse41Ant

A few more updates:

I've reworked the aquascaping. Took one of the top rocks off to provide a bit more area for corals with one less cave.

Switched my salt from standard Instant Ocean to the Reef Crystals. Hopefully the additional calcium and mag in it helps the corals out.

Modded my AC70 into a fuge. Has chateo aaaand....

Thanks to bird, I have some new beautiful pieces of purple macro. If you get a chance to get on his list, do it. Well worth the price of shipping! I'll definitely be fragging this stuff out as it grows. If it grows as indicated, they'll probably be free. Very good looking macro. Put one bit in the newly modded AC70 fuge, rest in display.

Now on to the photos!

New Macro

IMG_0186.jpg

Another piece...

IMG_0185.jpg

Under actinics...

IMG_0182.jpg

A smaller bit

IMG_0178.jpg

New mushroom location, right in the center

IMG_0176.jpg

GSP under actinics

IMG_0171.jpg

Frogspawn...I still love this coral

IMG_0168.jpg

Of course, the FTS

IMG_0157.jpg

And FTS under Actinics to light everything up

IMG_0166.jpg

Comments are welcomed!

Warehouse41Ant

I have no idea. Came from N-R member bird. He says it grows like wild. He has a list going right now, so if you're interested in it, send him a pm. Search "purple macro" on here and you'll find his thread. Send pm and he'll hook you up. I was on the wait list for about two weeks while some grew out. I really like it! May not like the maintenance of it though!

Warehouse41Ant
That's a nice macro! YOUR TANK LOOKS AWESOME!!! I like everything about it.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

There's a few more things that I'd like to change eventually (such as new lighting, add a skimmer, etc) and I want to get some more corals in there eventually, but I'm happy for now! As the tank matures I think it will fill out very nicely with everything placed as is. I'm sure I'll still change things, but for the time being I'm happy.

When you get a chance, take a shot of that penny macro... Has it rooted yet? Almost looks like a red fern - have one in mine that rooted, but in a not so good spot for light. I moved it up and we will see how it goes.

Warehouse41Ant
Very Nice!

2 clowns would be SIIIIICK! B)

Edit: the 2 clowns ARE SiiiiiicK!!

Haha, thanks. I love them! A ton of personality! Aside from the usual "young clown fights," they seem to be getting along. One is clearly bigger and the other generally yields to her. I assume they'll pair up and breed at some point!

Warehouse41Ant
Nice tank! How did your AC 70 mod go? Any pics? I am about to mod one this coming weekend.

I don't currently have any pics of the mod, but it went well. I did it by following along to el fab's instructions. Turned out pretty decent. Have an underwater light from Stevie T growing chaeto in it now.

Update for today:

Last night I got a new zoa rock from my LFS. Decent looking zoas, nothing too fancy, but it was cheap enough so I got it. If I knew how to frag I'd put some up for sale in the marketplace, but, alas, I don't, and I don't really want to kill my coral trying.

Pics:

This is the zoa/paly rock under full lighting:

IMG_0192.jpg

A better closeup of the palys:

IMG_0193.jpg

Actinic shot for color effect:

IMG_0197.jpg

And a full tank shot to update:

IMG_0202.jpg

Warehouse41Ant
Looking good. That frogspawn is huge!

Thanks! Your tank looks amazing as well! Love all the zoa variations. Wish I could afford to get some nicer zoas. they look great, but coral tends to be expensive here in NE.

Yeah, the frogspawn just keeps growing. I should probably trim it back again and take some heads into LFS to sell.

• 1 month later...

Archived