ReefCleaners.org

How long does the molting process take for an emerald crab?

jg7

Dont think the OP is asking how long between molts but once the crab begins molting how long does the process take.

I dont know how long an emerald takes but I did watch the molt process of my pom pom crab. Stayed shy for two days, then by accident I saw him slip out of its shell (and grab its pom poms), that took 5 or 6 minutes. After that it stayed hidden for a day until its shell hardened up. I expect an emerald is not much different.

• 10 years later...
TheMikeLane

I ordered an emerald crab from online about 3 weeks ago, two of which it has remained frozen on the sand bed. I drip acclimated as recommended and as usual, resulted in a clean transition and it started eating some algae right away. After a few days I found it upside down in the sand clutching a rock to his belly. I've pulled it out a few times and his legs move and it blinks its eyes but doesnt try to crawl away. When I put it back in the tank it will clamp its legs back to its body and freeze up. 

I am under the impression its molting, but having taken so long I am worried. He has slowly faded in color starting from the legs and rear working forward. I see his mouth feelers moving. Ive been expecting him to die but hes definitely alive.

The tank is 10g with Kessil a80

1 Kenya Tree

1 Meteor Shower Cyph

1 Clown

1 Firefish

1 Nassarius snail (laying eggs like crazy)

Parameters:

Salinity- 1.024

Calcium- 490

PH- 8.1

KH-  13.5 - 14 (hard to judge)

NO2- 0

NO3- <1

PO4- .03

Ammonia- 0

Mg- 1400

Fe- 0 - .05

K- 400 

I2- .07 - .08

I was dosing NoPOx (.2ml and <) to control algae and high PO4 before adding fish for about 2 weeks. At the same time dosing RS Reef Energy AB for the tree and cyph, which look healthy. I havent started dosing RS Foundation or Trace Elements. I have them both and my knowlege base is expanding quickly but I need some guidance. 

Thanks!