inTank Media Baskets

Inconsistent Salinity Readings?

RobDMB

I have a Biocube 14 that I just set up and am using a hydrometer. It seems that when I take the specific gravity reading, the reading varies depending on the different places in the tank where I take the water from. Sometimes it is high, sometimes low, and sometimes just right. Anyone have any tips on getting an accurate reading? Thanks.

hydrometers are fine. just compare them to refrctometers to check accuracy. make sure there are no bubbles on swing arm, take multiple readings to make sure, and then rinse well with ro water to keep clean.

hydrometers are fine. just compare them to refrctometers to check accuracy. make sure there are no bubbles on swing arm, take multiple readings to make sure, and then rinse well with ro water to keep clean.

Swing-arm hydrometers are about the most inaccurate way you could check for salinity, if hydrometers were fine you wouldn't need a refractometer to check for accuracy or need to beat the crap out of them to get the bubbles off of the swing arm. Get a refractometer and life will be much easier :)

Archived