Cultivated Reef

Lighting question

reefsrule

I just got my algae from Inland Aquatics, the calpurna sp? sampler kit. My question is about leaving the light on. It lights up some of the show tank and I was wondering if all the extra light would affect the corals at all.

A lot depends upon what type of corals you're referring to. Where these corals are placed. What type of lighting. How many watts. How much light and at what intensity actually "lights up some of the show tank" as you state.

Why not do what you think is best for the time being, see what the results are, and then adjust from there? Nano-reefing I am finding is more about experimentation with the setup we each use as individuals. My waterflow, PH placement, LR arrangement, coral and coral placements are going to be vastly different from yours or someone elses tank.

Nothing should die off so you're safe there. Reef and have fun.

you can leave the fuge lights on 24/7 (some do) or you can leave them on when the tank lights turn off. will it effect the corals in the main tank if they are hit with a bit of low wattage light? nope. consider it similar to moonlight on a clear night. no biggie.

Thanx. I have 2x13 watt pc over a 5 gallon and I leave the lights on but they shut off for 4 hours at night. I have candycane, mushrooms, and a feather duster.

Archived