Cultivated Reef

Quaratine tank

reefsrule

a tank a powerhead and light like a nano tank sand maybe. but fill w/ new saltwater and change the water every week or can cycle it with a hob filter it is good place to put sick fish

you could really simplify by using a bucket and adj power head and just change the water 80-100% every week just to monitor new things before you put them in the tank:)

and of course if anything is in there be sure the new water is well mixed and adj for temp and SG before adding

I use a 5 gallon. I took a little LR from my display systems for the bio-filter, and PVC pipe fittings aranged like a little "reef". No sand, this makes it easier to spot parasites that may have fallen off. I keep a ballon molly (a FW fish that is easily converted to SW) in the tank to keep it cycled, and "introduce" new arivals to tankmates (better have a $.99 molly get killed than a $50 wrasse). Also, if you go bare bottom, paint the bottom. If you don't, the reflected light will drive fish nuts; painting the bottom stops reflection. I try to make my QT as much like the display system as possible. I use a 12" T5 flouresent over the tank. I also use it to quarintine corals, so I use a hermit crab to make sure the water is safe after using copper (always change all of the water after it's use, and use poly filters or resins to get the rest). All you need is a tank, heater, PVC pipe, light hood, and a filter. HTH

Archived