Coral Vue Hydros

Long time Diatom problem

CrunchyToast

I've had my 55gal setup for a total of about 5 to 6 months and ever since about month 2 (end of the cycle) I've had a huge diatom algae problem. I initially started the tank with tap water and use water conditioner in it. For about the last 2 or 3 months I've been using RO/DI water. I was before, doing a 10gal water change every 3 weeks or so, but my nitrates kicked up so I shortened the amount of time between changes. Lately I've kicked up my water changes to about once a week or so due to my nitrates being steady at about 20ppm. I've added a protein skimmer (my DIY counter current) that works, but I just can't seem to get rid of this issue.

Advice?

Hmm It could be due to your chronically high nitrates. It's a good idea that you started doing water changes once a week although you should have been doing that from the beginning.

When I first started my tank up, from what I was reading it was only required about once every month or less. Then I started reading more about it and decided to kick up my changes, but it seems no matter how much I change the water the issue comes back over and over again. There was only one time that it went away, but this was when I had a huge cyano issue that I got cleared up only to return to a diatom bloom again. I have been changing my filter pads and if I can't get new ones, what I'll do is wash them thoroughly until they run clear instead of brown. I know this isn't best, as I should just replace them. My filter type is an emperor 400.

I have been stiring up the sand to create small sand storms to suspend whatever I can to be sucked up by the filter, but after a day of white sand it goes right back to brown.

What type of cuc do you have in there?

How much flow?

How long did you cycle for? Cured or uncured rock?

I've seen mixed ideas on whether or not to stir the sandbed. Some say it releases toxins, don't touch it, others say stir at least the top layers when you do a water change. I don't know if there is a "right" answer to this, but I'm guessing consistancy is important.

If you can post pics, it might help the more experienced reefers to spot some clues. :)

I have a previous thread on here somewhere with a couple pics or so. My CUC is kind of weak at the moment. I don't want to add too much to it to create more waste and nitrates until I get this issue fixed. I had 2 turbo snails and a few nasarus snails. One nasarus died last week, and one turbo died a couple days ago. My LR is from a pet store called Petco and I don't know if it's cured or not. I don't have very much LR either, and I know it will greatly help to have more. I probably have about 15 pounds or so. I know that's low for my 55gal. When the diatoms get built up on the glass I always scrape it off and hope it gets to the filter and I try to scoop it out with my net.

Oh yeah, I cycled for a little over two months and my flow is about 1000 GPH.

I just went to Petco and found out the rock IS cultured and got another chunk and ten more nassarius snails so I have a total of 12 now. Give me about 5 minutes and I'll up some pics before I clean it again.

th_DSCN2515.jpg

th_DSCN2516.jpg

th_DSCN2517.jpg

th_DSCN2518.jpg

th_DSCN2519.jpg

th_DSCN2520.jpg

th_DSCN2521.jpg

Tagging along because I have a similar issue. My issue started when I added some base rock to my tank. The rock was clean but I basically rescaped my tank 3 times trying to get it right. I distrubed my sand bed pretty bad in the process so no telling what I kicked up. My nitrates went up from 0 to 5-10ppm and the diatom bloom kicked in. My nitrate went down pretty quick and I have done 4-5 WC's over the last 2-weeks. The diatoms now come and go with the amount of light (barely visible in the am and most obvious in the evening after the lights have been on) but they are still lurking. I try and siphon off the top layer off of the sand bed but I am not sure if that is helping or hurting. I have read that silicates are the main nutrient source for diantoms. How do you measure silcates in saltwater. Is it a TDS meter?

cyano, and some film algae (or green cyano- hard to tell) it looks like on the glass. Some of it may be diatoms, but there is definitely some brown cyano in one of those corners and near on of the rocks. All the nassarius in the world wont put a dent in that, they are obligate scavengers and other than disturbing the "algae", they wont do anything to clean it up. Amount of nassarius snails should be based on # of fish and how much you feed.

+1 to bio available silica causing diatoms.

Okay. Then what it was before I'll be guessing is I thought it was diatoms that were overtaken by the purple cyano before. I guess I'm just fighting a great big cyano outbreak. What's the easiest way to get rid of all of this?

In the past I did scrape the top layer of sand to get rid of everything but it all just came back.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

You said you have an emp. 400. that has a bio-wheel. take that off if you haven't already. That might be where your nitrates are coming from.

I had a diatom problem off and on till about 3mo ago. My tank has been running for about a 1 1/2 years. half now and every time I change anything weather it be a small water change, move a power head, re scape, or anything it would have a day or two of diatoms.

In my opinion it may only take weeks to "cycle". But it takes up to and over a year for it to settle down and become stable.

oh and stop buying from PETCO that could help too!! :slap:

I'll remove the bio wheels, but here's a problem if I stop buying from Petco: This hobby is done. It's the only store here that sells anything saltwater and I'm not driving 2 hours to buy my supplies nor will I be paying shipping on everything I want. Sure, I'll go online for some supplies, but not for everything.

Edit: Removed bio-wheels but now I have a loud filter due to the spray bars.

some of it is definitely cyano, some on the sand does look like diatoms. bio wheels only "create" nitrate the same way every bit of surface are in your tank "creates" nitrates, by converting ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate. it is a good thing. now you just need to convert or export the nitrates through denitrification, (deep pores in the rock, macro etc..), or by water changes. notice any bubbles in the brown stuff?

Johnmaloney, are you saying the bio-wheels are a good thing? So should I use them or not? Lol.

I don't see any bubbles. When the tank was first finishing up its cycle I found some green bubble algae. I purchased an emerald crab and haven't seen any since.

SO,

I just took about 2 hours scrubbing glass, cleaning up the sand, changing filters, changing about 12 gallons of water and BAM! The brown is already coming back into the sand. WTF?!

SO,

I just took about 2 hours scrubbing glass, cleaning up the sand, changing filters, changing about 12 gallons of water and BAM! The brown is already coming back into the sand. WTF?!

I am having the same problem. I clean it at night and by the next night it is all back. My water parems are all in line. I am lost also.

Well I'm at about 1000 GPH now, and don't know if I should get Koralia 2 or 3. I've been told a 3 may be a little much, and a 2 may be just right, but then others say 2 is too little and 3 is right.

I know too the lighting helps situations too. Right now I have a basic 48" 65Watt (I think) over the top. What type of lighting is recomended? I was looking at some compact fluorescent setups. I don't know what type or how many watts though. I don't yet know much about lighting types.

Tagging along because I have a similar issue. My issue started when I added some base rock to my tank. The rock was clean but I basically rescaped my tank 3 times trying to get it right. I distrubed my sand bed pretty bad in the process so no telling what I kicked up. My nitrates went up from 0 to 5-10ppm and the diatom bloom kicked in. My nitrate went down pretty quick and I have done 4-5 WC's over the last 2-weeks. The diatoms now come and go with the amount of light (barely visible in the am and most obvious in the evening after the lights have been on) but they are still lurking. I try and siphon off the top layer off of the sand bed but I am not sure if that is helping or hurting. I have read that silicates are the main nutrient source for diantoms. How do you measure silcates in saltwater. Is it a TDS meter?

I am having the same problem. I clean it at night and by the next night it is all back. My water parems are all in line. I am lost also.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

Everyone with this same problem seems to have a lot in common: no where near enough live rock, and for some unknown reason using a hang on power filter with bio wheels. There is no reason to use a power filter with bio wheels on a saltwater tank, even if it's just to run carbon. If you guys started off on the right foot and let the tank cycle properly with enough live rock you would be doing fine. Saltwater tanks are expensive, and cutting corners leads to dissatisfaction and a crummy looking tank.

Add 40 lbs of live rock, that'll clear it all up for you eventually.

Well I'm sorry that I'm not an all mighty saltwater god such as yourself. Maybe if someone were to actually help in this situation instead of just b*tch like you that "oh you're not doing it right" then maybe I can get this stuff cleared up.

Anyone else with some HELPFUL knowledge instead of jumping to a "you're not doing it right" answer?

hey , in my 24 im having a similar issue. Not as bad, but my tank is bout 3 months old.... I know it looks ugly, but stop messing with the and , rock etc.... Just do your water changes weekly and let it settle. Watch how you feed your fish, dont give the algae any food at all. make sure your light cycle is under 12 hours preferably 7-10 tops. The more frags n coral you add the more unbalanced your tank will be. So like me, if you take my advice, just wait. It will go away in time

Archived