Cultivated Reef

Revive Coral Cleaner

masterbuilder

I used to dip all my corals in Lugols before putting them in my tank, now I will only use it for sick or injured corals. Even then, I feel that Lugols can be overly harsh and given that I am particularly reluctant to dip in iodines as a preventive treatment without some good reasons. I recently began using ReVive Coral Cleaner after several reviews by experienced reefers on other forums were very positive.

After using it on over a dozen different frags, LPS and SPS (no softies tried) I have been quite impressed. Any pests dive off the corals immediately and drop dead. It also appears to be much easier on the corals, especially the SPS dipped so far. Surprisingly, no excessive sliming or polyp retraction has been observed as can happen with some iodine treatments and some LPS have even extended their feeder tentacles while in the dip. So far, no experience using it to treat sick corals (thank goodness) so I am unable to give my impressions concerning this use but I have no reasons to doubt the manufactures claims.

Being overly cautious with dips, I have only mixed it 1/2 strength or so and it’s working as advertised at that concentration. ReVive is what I will use from now on as a preventive dip, it’s cheap and a bottle will last you a lifetime. Available from the majority of online merchants and in my LFS. Iodine (lugols, ect.) definitely has its place but for routine preventive dips, ReVive is a good alternative.

I give it 9 out of 10 (haven’t seen a 10 yet)

http://revivecoralcleaner.com/

revive-coral-cleaner.jpg

Mark

I love the stuff. Almost smells like pine-sol for corals. It solved the red bug problem that my acros had. Like you said the pests just dart off the coral and die. +100 for Revive!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

After recently getting some zoa eating nudi's I'm wanting to rethink my coral dips, previously I always dip with iodine, but have had a bottle of this around for awhile, I never used it because I have no sps and on the bottle it states for stony corals, so my question is-

Is this product safe to dip softies like zoanthids & ricordea.

After recently getting some zoa eating nudi's I'm wanting to rethink my coral dips, previously I always dip with iodine, but have had a bottle of this around for awhile, I never used it because I have no sps and on the bottle it states for stony corals, so my question is-

Is this product safe to dip softies like zoanthids & ricordea.

Yep! I love this stuff. All I had was softies and I dipped everything in it. Full strength as the directions specify. I got rid of a zoa spider, bristleworms, and asterina starfish with it. Good stuff!

• 4 months later...

I just bought this stuff as my lugols ran low.

I am impressed with it as it pulled off some creepy crawlies. The dosage I used was 1 capful for 500ml but even at that... the meal worm type bug that came off wasn't completely dead. I pinched it with tweezers and it was still squirming (after 10min). I'm sure it was on it's way to death tho...

9/10

bonus point for smelling so damn good!

Cedar oil 'n lemon, I think.

What is the difference between this and iodine? It is just not as harsh on the corals? I dip my zoa's in fresh + lugols and none of them even slime up after.

What is the difference between this and iodine? It is just not as harsh on the corals? I dip my zoa's in fresh + lugols and none of them even slime up after.

I've been using lugol's iodine as a dip for ages.

I can't tell you specifically what the difference is between this and iodine, but this is supposed to not be as harsh.

I'm guessing they affect pathogens differently.

Both are effective.

I haven't really found iodine that effective at getting rid of pests although I like it as a dip for diseases and as an antibacterial.

All I can say is, I have been impressed by how effective Revive is as a dip against both diseases and pests.

Still learning about it, but it is currently the first thing I turn to as a dip.

briansbelle

i have some revive also...

it says to mix 4 capfuls with a gallon of saltwater...

does anyone mix it with just RO water?

i was thinking of getting a gallon jug and mixing up the revive at 4 capfuls then storing the jug, b/c when i do dips i usually dont use a full gallon of water as i only dip a few corals at a time...

oh and i only dip zoa/palys b/c thats is all i have :)...which before revive i just did a quick 2 min dip in RO water only...since they are pretty much the only corals that can handle RO water dips...

also i need to figure out a way to divide the recommended dosage up to make a cup of revive water at a time..not by the gallon...lol

any ideas?

i was thinking of getting a gallon jug and mixing up the revive at 4 capfuls then storing the jug, b/c when i do dips i usually dont use a full gallon of water as i only dip a few corals at a time...

oh and i only dip zoa/palys b/c thats is all i have :)...which before revive i just did a quick 2 min dip in RO water only...since they are pretty much the only corals that can handle RO water dips...

also i need to figure out a way to divide the recommended dosage up to make a cup of revive water at a time..not by the gallon...lol

any ideas?

Pretty sure you use 1 teaspoon of Revive for 2 cups of water.

That's the dip I usually use.

briansbelle

AWESOME!!

thanks weetie!! i will do that, its just a PITA to try to mix up a gallon of it and only use a cup or 2...lol

any ideas?

I believe the packaging says to discard the dip after an hour so I'm not sure this would work. Something I like about it though is it is four cap fulls per gallon which means one per quart or one half per pint (that is 1/8 gallon right?) which makes mixing small batches easy. I've just started using this stuff and I have to say I am VERY impressed.

AWESOME!!

thanks weetie!! i will do that, its just a PITA to try to mix up a gallon of it and only use a cup or 2...lol

Believe me, I know!

When I do dips they're usually either 1 cup or 2 cups of water in size.

• 3 weeks later...

Pine sol smell?

It's probably tea tree oil (aka melafix)

I used to buy the pond version for my freshie tanks, much cheaper and 1 bottle lasted me 2 years+

that's just my guess, tea tree oil is great and would make sense.

• 3 months later...

Just some added experience.

I had 4 sps colonies that I glanced at and had no sign of anything "bad". I stuck all 4 in a bucket with revive and to my amazement, it pulled off a whole lot of critters!

Critters that got pulled off:

dozen pods

dozen hard shelled bugs that curl up into a ball (half survived dip but acted dazed)

6 hitchhiker snails/slugs (forget species)

6 mini starfish (I think the bad type)

2 bristle worms

*red bugs

3 of the montiporas came out well. The acropora got an extra inspection and there were signs of redbugs! <10minute dip didn't do it initially. I left it in for ~<20 min and they were gone.

It's scary what you can introduce into your tank and this stuff makes me feel better. At least I tried!

Revive > Iodine > FW dips

• 3 months later...

oh and i only dip zoa/palys b/c thats is all i have smile.gif...which before revive i just did a quick 2 min dip in RO water only...since they are pretty much the only corals that can handle RO water dips...

any ideas?

older post but I did the conversion to a standard 17 fl oz.water bottle(dasani bottle) and the rec. dosage for that volume of saltwater is 4.5 mL/ 17 fl oz. bottle... makes it easier if you dont want to waste solution making an entire gallon.Just dipped a paly and zoa colony and they def responded well to it-much more open than they were.

• 1 year later...

Just want to add my .02 on an older post. I just started using revive and I agree that making 1 gallon is a waste, so I decided to scale it down. I liked the idea of using a 2 cup measuring cup because it will fit any coral I want to add to my tank (I have a nano) and measures the amount of water at the same time.

Revive instructions state: "Mix 4 capfuls (40 mL) of Revive per gallon (3.8 L) of clean, aged seawater..."

and 1 US Gallon = 16 cups, so you get:

40mL/16 cups and if you scale down to 2 cups this is what you get:

40mL/16 cups = x mL/2 cups, where x must be 5.

Therefore, 5mL of Revive per 2 cups of seawater. Luckily I had a clean small pet syringe to measure out 5 mL exactly. Also, 1 US Teaspoon = 5 mL. (I believe Weetabix7 mentioned the same proportions as well)

-Had to show my work, I'm a Math/Science teacher :lol:

Just want to add my .02 on an older post. I just started using revive and I agree that making 1 gallon is a waste, so I decided to scale it down. I liked the idea of using a 2 cup measuring cup because it will fit any coral I want to add to my tank (I have a nano) and measures the amount of water at the same time.

Revive instructions state: "Mix 4 capfuls (40 mL) of Revive per gallon (3.8 L) of clean, aged seawater..."

and 1 US Gallon = 16 cups, so you get:

40mL/16 cups and if you scale down to 2 cups this is what you get:

40mL/16 cups = x mL/2 cups, where x must be 5.

Therefore, 5mL of Revive per 2 cups of seawater. Luckily I had a clean small pet syringe to measure out 5 mL exactly. Also, 1 US Teaspoon = 5 mL. (I believe Weetabix7 mentioned the same proportions as well)

-Had to show my work, I'm a Math/Science teacher :lol:

Yup, pretty sure that's what I use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Leatherneck3755

Thanks for the measurements weetabix. Just used revive for the first time on some acans. A bunch of little critters fell off and we're swimming around, hopefully in pain. The Acan looked great and opened right up after about two hours. My first dip on my first coral!!

Archived