inTank Media Baskets

Need info on Galaxia or Galaxea coral.

Drysocket

I just got a frag from my LFS. It's a little bigger than a quarter. I know I shouldn't be buying stuff that I don't know much about, but it was only $10 and it looks really cool.

If anyone has info on lighting and feeding, please share.

Nishant3789

um.... y did u buy it then? u shouldve asked them to hold it for u, then gone home and asked this question...

nishant

This from Borneman:

"These colonies often do not survive well in the aquarium. They easily succumb to brown jelly infections, necrosis, and recession, often resulting from breakage of the parent colony to obtain specimens small enough for the aquarium. However, if healthy, Galaxea are fairly tolerant of water conditions and prefer a brightly illuminated area of the tank with low to moderate water flow that helps reduce their tendency to form sweeper tentacles."

"...All species produce very long stinging sweeper tentacles... Such tentacles can jeopardize corals quite a distance away from the colony... these corals make poor choices for small or crowded reef aquariums."

Doesn't sound like an ideal species for a nano. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Nishant3789

sorry didnt mean to come off rude though i c that i did now, its just sorta annoying everytime someone gets a new coral without knowing anythinga bout it.....

nishant

Nishant3789
Originally posted by Satchmo

This from Borneman:

"These colonies often do not survive well in the aquarium.  They easily succumb to brown jelly infections, necrosis, and recession, often resulting from breakage of the parent colony to obtain specimens small enough for the aquarium.  However, if healthy, Galaxea are fairly tolerant of water conditions and prefer a brightly illuminated area of the tank with low to moderate water flow that helps reduce their tendency to form sweeper tentacles."

"...All species produce very long stinging sweeper tentacles... Such tentacles can jeopardize corals quite a distance away from the colony... these corals make poor choices for small or crowded reef aquariums."

Doesn't sound like an ideal species for a nano.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.

See this is what i mean.... you really should have researched it b4 u baught it....

nishant

I know I should have. However, since it's so small, and my tank is not nearly crowded, I think it'll be far enough away from anything to not be a problem.

They guy that works at my LFS usually talks me out of things that won't work with my tank. He knows what equipment and livestock I have. I bought almost all my livestock from him.

Nishant3789

o ok, well then thats cool, learn from ure mistakes i always say, good luck with the coral...

nishant

I see no problem with salvaging cheap/broken/little bits of unfamiliar coral from fish stores. Its the best way to learn, in my opinion. It would be different if he spent $100 on a huge coral.

I too have bought a few pieces of coral frags without knowing anything about them. But I do speak to the LFS guy who knows my tank setup and get advice from him. He always tells me if a coral I want to buy is suitable for my tank or not.

NanoReefer53

If you know the LFS guys are knowledgeable and friendly, then u can listen to them for advice. Remeber though, only if u know them. Other than that, some stores can only be telling u things just to make a sale. Luckily in my area i got pretty nice people. :)

I try not to rely on the lfs for information. I was friendly with the owner of my lfs and the guy was usually honest with me however, his staff either wasn't very knowledgable or they intentionally gave bad advice to make a sale. The owner ended up doing something to a friend of mine that was borderline criminal so I no longer shop there.

With regards to the Galaxea, they usually last no longer than 6 months and in that time their sweepers will cause major damage if the coral isn't completely isolated. Those sweepers can be very long so make sure there is nothing in the flow of water that will get stung.

Archived