Cultivated Reef

Desire 2 Black/White Clowns and Anenome, What Do I need for a Setup?

timmy557

I need some input. I would like to get 2 black clowns (Ocellaris or Percula) and an anenome. I have read enough to know that it is very difficult to determine which species the black clowns are, without counting the spines on the dorsal fin (10 percula, 11 ocellaris). I have a 10 gallon tank that is still in the setup stages. The items that I do have are:

1 - 20" Custom Sealife Power Compact w/moon-lite (2*40 watt)

1 - 10 Gallon All-Glass

1 - Penguin Mini

1 - Penguin 170

approx. 3# LR

I plan to purchase some base rock later this week, since it is considerably cheaper and let the LR seed it. I have also read that 2 fish and an anenome in a 10 gallon may be pushing it. Any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated on these areas.

My true questions are these:

1. What is a good type of anenome (hardy, etc.) that will most likely host the clowns, have enough light, and not be cramped in this small of a tank? I am partial to the look of bubble tips and they seem hardy, but will they host a percula or ocellaris clown?

2. What other items (hardware) are necessary in order to keep the above items?

3. As for the recommended hardware from above what are some recommended manufacturers, brands, styles, etc.

4. I know that I will need a powerhead, what type would you recommend? Is a powersweep ok if I clean it regularly to prevent the jamming problems and if so what should I be looking at for GPH?

I appreciate all of the help that you guys offer this newbie in advance. Thank You,

-Tim:unsure:

P.S. Feel free to submit any further questions you may have for me concerning my intentions with the tank.

I had it my 29g tank, which has a 10 gallon fuge, a cpr-bak pak, an aquaclear 500, and a single Maxijet 600 hidden behind the rocks. My Lighting is a Jebo 110w PC. Sadly my Black Oc, died defending my BTa from my Long Spine Urchin.. (The day after I got another tank for the Long Spine but was waiting for it to come to the top of the tank so I could remove him :( ) The BTA is doing fine, and still see's light duty from my pair of Perc when they leave there bta on the other side of the tank.

For 2 Black Percs, you should get at least a 15-gallon tank (I believe that a 15-gallon tall is 20 inches long if you would like to use your CSL PCs; however I like the 15 long tanks myself. I would really forget about the anemone if I were you. For a 15-gallon tank, shoot for 300 to 400gph flow (your Penguin Mini provides about 100gph). 20 to 25lbs of LR would also be good for a 15-gallon.

A 10-gallon tank is fine for one Black Perc, but paired clowns are much more interesting to watch and seem to do better. I just don’t feel that a 10-gallon tank is the best choice for the livestock that you are considering.

You will have much easier time with a larger tank and better lighting, Especially with 2 fish and an anenome. A 20 gallon or even a 29 would be good. I would also reccommend MH for almost any Anenome. On either tank a 175 would be good, 250 would be best, just watch your heat. Also have patience. I would not put An anenome in a tank less than three months old.

Archived