inTank Media Baskets

Live rock deposits

Cilibrin

Hi,

I'm just beginning my first reef tank. I was reading that green algae is not good for live rock. Is this green algae? Is it something else? Is it bad for my live rock? Many thanks.

Cilibrin

greenrock.jpg

If your tank is new and cycling than algae is normal. It's pretty common for cycling tanks. It's not bad. If your cycling ideally a shorter photoperiod would help keep it down...maybe 4-5 hours a day. Aftert your cycle is done a few snails and some hermit crabs will keep it under control.

Cameron

Thanks, I'll keep the photo-period down. This green didn't grow on my rock, however. I purchased the live rock like this. Just wondering if it's algae or not. Many thanks. Oh, and I'm only three days into my cycling.

Cilibrin

I think it's very cool looking myself. I have the green coralline growing in some patches on my LR but mostly on the glass... various colors of green ranging from olive to brighter green. Purty.

Already done so, birdman. Been reading a lot of the site and a book called "Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook" by Dr. Robert Goldstein and both stress turning off the lights.

I only say so, because you dont want the algae takin' hold before anything else. I cycled w/ just 2 hours of light a day over my newest tank, and it's an algae farm right now :D Have fun, Hope you don;t need a 12 step program like I do!

Archived