Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Constantly High Calcium!

GioReef

Ok, my calcium is always at 540-560 in my tank. It's not THAT high but it's higher than i would want. I always test the fresh mix sw 24hrs after i make it and it tests at 450-480. I have been using Reef Crystals for about 1 year and like how the results are after 24hr of mixing. But when i test the params before the weekly water change, the calcium is 560 or more. I have api tests and have confirmed with my lfs. They got the same results I did. I also have several lps corals so i think that calcium should be less in between water changes...

My other params are good,

ph-8.3

temp-82

sg-1.026

alk-10dkh

nitrate-0

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

Please help me with this situation.

Thanks

Just something you could try: Mix the water for more than 24 hours, then test it. If it tests high it could be the salt, and it maybe didn't fully mix in those 24 hours.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/...ature/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if his magnesium levels are too high, or higher than normal, won't his calcium and alkalinity levels be held at that high point?

Is it all possible to test your Magnesium levels?

I could get the lfs to test magnesium or i could buy the kit. I'll wait for the outcome of this question.

Well, the thing i don't realize is how can it be higher in my tank than the water change water??? :huh:

Phosphate will also prevent the prcipitation of calcium carbonate, and thus keep your levels high, but I think it might be magnsium. Im pretty sure LFS will test for both for a small fee.

The levels might still be high despite your WC water because you are either not allowing the water to mix and reach its final levels, or, something else is going on, and I'm too tired to explain. Calcium and alkalinity could be coming from a source in your tank

I have no idea. I would take the airstone out, just to be sure it doesnt mess with the pH of the new water. pH affects the calcium in solution, so remove the airstone next time you mix water.

Well, actually the airstone was added because i was using just the powerhead and someone suggested that I might have to aerate the water more for more stable ph...

Could be a bad test, too. I had an expired API calcium test, and it was telling me that my ca was at 1400 ppm.

same happened to me a while back... i was like no way.. lol

• 1 month later...
Ok, my calcium is always at 540-560 in my tank. It's not THAT high but it's higher than i would want. I always test the fresh mix sw 24hrs after i make it and it tests at 450-480. I have been using Reef Crystals for about 1 year and like how the results are after 24hr of mixing. But when i test the params before the weekly water change, the calcium is 560 or more. I have api tests and have confirmed with my lfs. They got the same results I did. I also have several lps corals so i think that calcium should be less in between water changes...

My other params are good,

ph-8.3

temp-82

sg-1.026

alk-10dkh

nitrate-0

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

Please help me with this situation.

Thanks

Hi, I just came across your post and dont now if you have found a solution. But, when I realized my calcium was quite high as well I tested my tap water prior to mixing and found it to already be in the 200's Anyway, I have not dosed calcium (nano 24) in months, and it stays consistantly in higher range.

My Ca is always high! Usually between 450 - 500... Never had issues with this. Have experienced it using different salts (Tropic Marin, Red Sea Coral Pro and most recently CoralLife). I rarely W/C and I have had up to 4 clams in the tank at a time in the past as well as a few SPS pieces. I've never dosed Ca either, ever. I used to think maybe it was my sand, but my tank has been set back up for 3 months now and my halimeda (great Ca indicator) has been growing like wildfire meaning my Ca levels are normal to high. Tank is currently bare bottom so I'm thinking it's my rocks maybe... Eitherway, I don't have issues with my highr Ca levels.

scubasteve2580
My Ca is always high! Usually between 450 - 500... Never had issues with this. Have experienced it using different salts (Tropic Marin, Red Sea Coral Pro and most recently CoralLife). I rarely W/C and I have had up to 4 clams in the tank at a time in the past as well as a few SPS pieces. I've never dosed Ca either, ever. I used to think maybe it was my sand, but my tank has been set back up for 3 months now and my halimeda (great Ca indicator) has been growing like wildfire meaning my Ca levels are normal to high. Tank is currently bare bottom so I'm thinking it's my rocks maybe... Eitherway, I don't have issues with my highr Ca levels.

doesnt look like there are anything wrong with your numbers.. i keepmy calcium around 460 + if i can.. life in the tank will start looking poor if it is stressing.. i will tell you this from experience.. for the first 4 months my calcium was 450+ and alk was 9+.. after the tank matured a little my numbers started dropping.. i would say around the 6 month mark.. everything started looking horrible.. i had been dosing kalk and just checking my alk which stayed around 8... well, i tested everything and found out my ph was way high, my calcium was around 220 and my alk just kept dropping.. tested magnesium, 1260... i do have those numbers in check today and run about 460 cal, 7 alk (my tank looks good here, everything seems happy and its an easy number to maintain) magnesium is still around 1260 and the ph is 8.4.. so.. give it time.. i think my high calcium and alk was the sand.. if you insist on having lower number, start using instant ocean.. IO numbers suck but its really easy to adjust the parameters for some reason. p.s. tank is almost 9 months old now.

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about my numbers. The only time I ever stressed about my Ca was when I tested it (2 different kits to confirm) my Ca at around 620 once!! Oddly, it wasn't precipitating out of the water either. I've had low Mg before though, something like 1130 when I sent out my water to Aquarium Water Testing once. I know it's difficult to maintain ALL levels at optimum without at least one level being low...

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of I/O salt, lol! I prefer higher Ca numbers myself and like to stick with salt that's higher in it.

scubasteve2580
Oh yeah, I'm not worried about my numbers. The only time I ever stressed about my Ca was when I tested it (2 different kits to confirm) my Ca at around 620 once!! Oddly, it wasn't precipitating out of the water either. I've had low Mg before though, something like 1130 when I sent out my water to Aquarium Water Testing once. I know it's difficult to maintain ALL levels at optimum without at least one level being low...

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of I/O salt, lol! I prefer higher Ca numbers myself and like to stick with salt that's higher in it.

honestly ive never heard of high calcium hurting anything unless it precips. i would think high calcium would be a good thing.. i used oceanic for awhile.. its really high in everything.. i may go back to it but last time i used it i had really hgih ammonia and even tested the makeup water to find 8ppm ammonia..

I am new to the testing parameters and all having never really paid attention to them in the past but just did what the local fish stores told me to and kept an eye on how the corals were doing. In other words do not have much advice, but have you tested the salt mix prior to adding to the tank? Maybe it is high in calcium levels. I heard somewhere, don't recall right now where, that RC has upped their calcium levels from time to time.

Could be a bad test, too. I had an expired API calcium test, and it was telling me that my ca was at 1400 ppm.

My API tests 500 and my Salifert tests 450.

Archived