Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting question

chemmom

I know you are probably tired of this but ...

I would like to set up a 7 gallon minibow with one perc for my son (you know why...).

Is the lighting that comes with the tank sufficient for some live rock or does the rock require special lighting.

I have been doing research but the lighting issue has been confusing for me. I checked the archives and found a similar question but they were going to be adding in other organisms right away.

I wanted to start off with just the one fish but build a good base to be able to add other things later.

I have had a freshwater tank for 2 years so I am familiar with cycling and the whole bit.

Thanks!

For just rock the stock lighting is ok to use. The 32w Smartlite Retro offered by CustomSealife is a worthy upgrade...even for just rock. It looks better and as you mentioned you may add some other items later (maybe even coral) and that 32w upgrade will be a good choice.

You can also do this light upgrade anytime really since the stock lighting will be ok for just rock.

Cameron

I agree.....

for fish only and a bit of rock, you are fine.....

beware....the reef bug bites hard and you will need more light when it does.....

you are going to love it.....

just remember your weekly water changes.......

Thanks so much for being easy on me ... I was afraid I would get hit with the Nemo backlash.

I was already contemplating what I could put on Ebay to be able to upgrade the lighting as I am a stay at home mom and we all know that it doesn't pay well!

In regards to water changes ...

what percent and do you vaccuum? Common sense tells me you don't vaccuum, but I thought I'd ask.

Archived