inTank Media Baskets

Is this a Blue Hermit?

LePep

I'm a beginner nano-reefer and had been looking for quite some time for a blue leg hermit to put in my 10 gallon along with my other two red legs. Today my brother called me form the LFS to tell me he was buying a blue leg hermit. When he came home this is what he had.

Is that a blue leg? Does it need a shell to live in?

Please help.

I had never seen a blue hermit before but it still struck me as strange when I saw it. My brother said that the gut at Super Pets insisted that it was a blue hermit. My first guess was that it's some kind of shrimp. Where can I look it up?

If anyone has the Beansch Marine Atlas 1 i do believe that shrimp is in there...it looks awfully familiar to me. Im at work...so i dont have access to the book right this moment.

BTW caja...its definitely NOT a pistol shrimp of any kind. I wanna say its considered a lobster of some sort...but like i said above..i dont have my book right this second.

drew drops.

funny.

i think if i went back and re-read all of my posts from today, i could not find an ounce of merit or usefulness in any one.

no WAIT!

i tried to help a guy with a prizm skimmer....

otherwise a waste.

Caja, you got the identification right up above the pistol shrimp....well the scientific name at least ;) The shrimp in question is Saron Retirostris, or the 'purple leg marble shrimp'. The picture you have above is actually Saron Inermis, or the 'Pine Cone Marble Shrimp' The exact matching color form of the subject of this post is on page 484 of the Beansch marine Atlas Volume 1. The description says that this shrimp should NOT be kept with live corals.

This is exactly what Yves said in a prior post so he (or she) deserves the credit for a correct ID. My bad Yves, didnt mean to step on your toes. :)

Originally posted by Yves

yes they do caja...saron rectirostris or the purple legged marble shrimp

Originally posted by Yves

Julian Sprungs Inverterbrates a quick reference guide page 167...the shrimp on anchor fish is a  saron inermis not a retirostris

Archived