Top Shelf Aquatics

Help me make my fuge decision....2 options...need to choose one...

Physh1

Ok...I've been pondering a fuge for my 7 gallon minibow for a few months and finally decided to go for it. I had not done it yet because I didn't think I was going to add any fish but that has changed. I've currently got a aquaclear 150 on there and it's used just for circulation and a surface skimmer. I've got quite a bit already growing in it :P. Looks like some sponge and got a little pod population on the bottom too. The 150 is pretty small and worry about it not being enough. I've got a aquaclear 300 sitting here and would have put it on there in place of the 150 already if I wasn't worried about it being an eyesore.

Basically, would the extra volume in the 300 really be all that much better than a 150? If the difference is minimal I'll just mod my 150 up.....if you guys think it's worth the swap and the little bigger eyesore than I'll probably do that.

Sometimes I just hate decisions....:P

Cameron

I say AC500 all the way, and just cut the impeller to reduce the flow...I come from the school of thought that your fuge should be as big as you can make it. I run a 45g fuge on my 60, and a 10 on a 20. I ended up never feeding the fish in the 60 and they still look like fat little sausages.

• 2 weeks later...

Cam,

I'm thinking of the same thing. At first I wanted to do a sump/fuge, but the drilling is too much work and also, I don't want to move the tank out of the kitchen (so I don't have a stand to put a sump in under the tank).

I have the AC300 with the ice probe in it. I had to cut up the hood to fit it. With the AC500, we're talking even more cutting. I'm more personally worried about how much overhang there will be over the side of the tank and how far this will go into the hood area. As you know, we don't have much room.

Ed

Cam,

Sorry, another post. The AC500 has a different impeller size that is not swappable with the smaller ones. I think the AC500 flow would be way too much for our minibows. Perhaps this will make the decision for us.

Ed

Well....the flow would be a lot but I've got a plan for even distribution to use it....kinda like a spray bar deal but different...lol

I'm waiting on my canopy and when I install my new lights I'll see how much room I have.

Cameron

I saw someone else disconnect the 500's motor and mount a small 100gph powerhead on the intake...no modding the filter needed...just a hose on the intake.

Archived