Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

iTech 100 Cone Skimmer Mini Review

DaveFason

I was in the market for a new skimmer and had my eye on the new cone style. Most of them are around $600+ for something I was looking for and I just could not swing it. I ended up finding a thread on RC for iTech skimmers. American made down in FL, looked very well built and had some really good reviews. Emmet from RC won a TOTM on RC and had been using one for quite some time. So I ended up saving for a 100 series ( rated ~100 gallons ) and sold my H&S.

I was able to get it all set up in about 30-45 minutes and any questions I had John ( the owner ) was able to answer them in no time. He said the skimmer worked best in 6-7" inches of water and I found that mine works best in 6 1/2 with the wedge pipe about 1/2 way closed. It took around 4-5 hours for it to start making the foamy bubbles.

The cone design works great and the Tunze hydrofaomer it comes with creates an unreal amount of bubbles. The pump itself is just as quite as a Eheim and the only thing you can hear is the water splashing around from the wedge pipe ( you can fix this by adding a 1" PVC pipe with a 90 degree fitting facing down.

The build it self is great. Nothing felt cheap or would over time fall apart. John's customer service is just up to par with ATB and Tunze. He even gives you his cell if something goes wrong!

I have only had this set up for around two weeks but needless to say its great. I am a VERY happy customer and wont be needing a new skimmer for a long time. Like I said this is only a mini review and I will follow up in a month or so.

http://www.i-techskimmers.com/forums/

Hope this helps anyone in the market looking to try something new!

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

Tech 100 - After 4 days with no feeding while I was away AWESOME!

IMG_3784-vi.jpg

IMG_3785-vi.jpg

IMG_3790-vi.jpg

IMG_3789-vi.jpg

-Dave

• 2 years later...
I have only had this set up for around two weeks but needless to say its great. I am a VERY happy customer and wont be needing a new skimmer for a long time. Like I said this is only a mini review and I will follow up in a month or so.

[

-Dave

In a month or so eh? haha

Someone fell off the planet.

And the link to the i-Tech forum is DEAD.

There should be a hole in the bottom that the external pump shoots into. I'll be setting mine up in a few days. Ics seen another version where the slimmer sits on the pump.

There should be a hole in the bottom that the external pump shoots into. I'll be setting mine up in a few days. Ics seen another version where the slimmer sits on the pump.

I'm researching different skimmer designs, because I want to try and make something small for the back of my nanocube chamber.

I need more pictures of designs that utilize a bottom pump to save space.

Shoot some pictures of yours if you can (please).

:happy:

I saw one for sale on another forum. What do you mean by small? This skimmer is huge.

Like the size of a large water bottle.

I am planning on building my own (not necessarily this specific skimmer... just one in general)- just downsizing all the components.

I was just asking for pictures so I can see how it works.

ok. the pump is a tunze hydrofoamer. its pretty big. i was surprised by the size when i got it.. you can look into the pump for the tunze 9002. just need the venturi that fits on it . you could get both from tunze usa. check the you tube video on the airline mod. it will give you an idea of its size if you aren't familiar with it.

steviejitsu

I can't believe you voluntarily touched that crud. haha I felt queasy from just seeing that picture.

Scrolled up to see it again, gagged again. :D

weird as it may sound.... The Touch of Satisfaction... lol

this thread has been officially resurrected?

where is Mr. Fason when you need a 3 year update on this skimmer :rolleyes:

i heard a little while back they were going to start making these skimmers again. they were made out of a lfs in florida. they were supposed to be really good. it hunk theres a big thread on RC for these skimmers.

I like how it looks aesthetically. the straight lined cone shape from bottom to top with no interference for smooth foam transition. So this skimmer comes included with the Tunze Hyrdofoamer? How much is/was the skimmer going for??

i think you had to buy the pump separately. i got mine off craigslist for $200. the guys said he spend $600 for the pump and skimmer. i think there is another pump that will fit, but the tunze is better. they don't make them anymore and are hard to find. they were under rated, so the 100 could handle tanks way over 100g.

ok. the pump is a tunze hydrofoamer. its pretty big. i was surprised by the size when i got it.. you can look into the pump for the tunze 9002. just need the venturi that fits on it . you could get both from tunze usa. check the you tube video on the airline mod. it will give you an idea of its size if you aren't familiar with it.

Thanks, I will check it out :happy:

Tunze 9002 Venturi

a9b4504b.jpg

Pump and Venturi.

102aebaa.jpg

Just to clarify- the green tube simply makes the intake longer, the black/wider area is where the venturi is, and the hole in the side is for an airtube?

Exactly.

FYI. A bunch of the Venturis were defective because the little hole was drill a little off.

That sucks lol.

I hate getting a brand new product and then finding out it has defects.

It's like- that's why I didn't buy a used one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived