Cultivated Reef

The budget pico build

fn8uup

ive got four 14w fluoresent's at the moment, its something i built and am going to try out before i get a mh i only want soft stuff i really like corals that move with the water flow ill probably have a tank dedicated to pulsing xenia :ninja:

Ok so i got board last night and started on my pre filter so once again i busted out the dremel ;)

so i got out the side of my filter i origionally cut off and got to work

media1-58.jpg

i took the dremel and cut a corner off which gave me a three sided box for my pre filter

media1-59.jpg

next i cut some slots in the top to get some skimmer action

media1-60.jpg

and finnaly i cut a piece to go on the back and siliconed it onto the box

media1-57.jpg

now im going to de bur the box then attatch the box to my intake tube and then im ready to get my sand

Ok guys give me some opinions i put my pre filter on and im not really liking it :mellow: it's blocking some light to my rock in the back left corner...not a ton but to me i think the box it's big... i can reduce it by approx half an inch in width from front to back but i still am not liking it cosmetically i think its just because i have never used such a small tank but still tell me your opinions on how it looks

it is however skimming the surface beautifully

before

media1-53.jpg

now with box

media1-61.jpg

sorry about the pics i added a reflector to my lights and my camera isn't liking it

i think your should dremel off that side peice of plastic on the filter. if you did that you would be able to have you filter box hug the side of the tank more making it a little less intrusive.

ok so i decided to ditch the skimming idea for now i do have a lot of flow from this filter so their shouldn't be to much film on the surface if any so i came up with this super simple screen

took a scrap piece of plastic and drilled some holes

media1-62.jpg

then cut to size

media1-63.jpg

and then super glued to my intake tube

media1-64.jpg

this didnt work as far as it reduced my flow more than i wanted so i cut it some more out of it not real pretty but i did de-bur it after this pic and its functional

media1-65.jpg

ive also reduced the length of the intake tube so it doesn't protrude lower than the bottom of the filter so its as little filter in the viewing area as possible which i may trim that some too in the future

this is a much cleaner look in my opinion and now im happy :happydance:

media1-66.jpg

Archived