Coral Vue Hydros

Red Saddled Anthias (Pseudanthias flavoguttatus)

seahorsedreams

seahorsedreams
Updates?

I haven't been able to convert to pellet yet. I'm still trying and she looks at it awful hard, but no go. Everything frozen is eaten.... just not the pellets.

Were you asking about the filefish or someone else? The anthias are doing fine as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm considering getting a trio of these as well. I've had a lot of success with ventralis in the past, so hoping these guys aren't as hard.

What temperature water do you think they do best in? you said you dialed it to 74? My tank is a consistent 76 to 77, though I could crank the chiller on a bit.

seahorsedreams

I bet the higher temps would be fine... can't say for sure though. I have seahorses in this tank as well and is why the temp is so low.

• 4 weeks later...
I bet the higher temps would be fine... can't say for sure though. I have seahorses in this tank as well and is why the temp is so low.

I still haven't been able to find any recently. I guess I'll just have to wait =) How are yours doing Rene?

• 3 weeks later...
seahorsedreams

Pic night was suppose to be this weekend... instead I had to set up a 65g hypo tank for my icky volitans and frondosa.

The two bigger anthias are starting to beat the snot out of the smaller one.

The filefish LOVES fish eggs and shaved salmon.

Pic night was suppose to be this weekend... instead I had to set up a 65g hypo tank for my icky volitans and frondosa.

The two bigger anthias are starting to beat the snot out of the smaller one.

The filefish LOVES fish eggs and shaved salmon.

sorry to hear about the volitans, but thats great news about the filefish. hopefully the anthias calm down soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
seahorsedreams

The anthias are now down to 2 instead of a trio. They are afraid of the seahorses but they tear each other up like rabid racoons. They would unlock their jaws when they fight, and this one time his mouth was damaged and he couldn't close it back up. He swooped into his food after that but it slowly took him down. We have an offer in for a new house, so if we get it, the 2 anthias won't be going back into the same tank together.

The OSFF is doing great. She is no longer timid at all and comes up to the top of the tank to let me pour food over her.

The anthias that doesn't go back in with the seahorses, will be going in with the filefish after the move.

sorry to hear about the loss.

but thats great news about the osff. cant wait to see a pic of the red saddled anthias with the osff.

with the anthias being as skidish as that. they sound like a perfect tankmate for a helfrick. what would you consider as a minimum tank size for a single anthias.

good luck with the house!

seahorsedreams

These anthias aren't very big... but honestly, I don't know.

• 10 months later...
bostondevin

I just bought a trio of these Red Saddled Anthias online - they were pricy! $250 for the trio - one male and two females. The male is about 3 times the size of the females and is shape-wise a little different - more shaped like a bartlett's and much thicker but the coloration is the same as the females with that cool barring - absolutely stunning fish - they are shy and like hanging in the caves so if you want this as a centerpiece type of a fish, you might be a little disappointed. The are eating all things frozen as previously mentioned and i'm feeding them 3 times a day. I've got them mixed into a 120 with other species of anthias, cardinals, tangs, gobies, and wrasse and everyone gets along fine. They are not picking on each other at all that i've noticed. More to come, and pics next time!

• 4 months later...
I just bought a trio of these Red Saddled Anthias online ........... I've got them mixed into a 120 with other species of anthias, cardinals, tangs, gobies, and wrasse and everyone gets along fine. They are not picking on each other at all that i've noticed. More to come, and pics next time!

Just curious, are they still well behaved with each other? B)

thanks for your time! :D

• 1 year later...
seahorsedreams

Update. The one is still alive. The other did not recover from being beat up. The remaining one is missing a portion of their tail that never grew back. Still a very timid fish. Will dart in the cave when you come in the room or you move around too much. Disappears for a day after tank cleaning. Colors have dulled a lot. The colors in my first pics were true when I got them, but not any more. I'll try to grab a pic. A perfect tankmate for an orange spotted filefish.

• 2 months later...

Archived